Re: [oc] "1/x" function

Aloha!

Rudolf Usselmann wrote:
> Sure I can use a small second multiplier as well. Unfortunately I
> don't have the books you are referring to. I think I need to update
> my library ! What are the best (most useful for hardware
> implementations) math books that people are using ?  - Opinion Poll
> here !

Ok, my list will span from pure arithmetic and all the way to complexity
analysis and CPU-design.

For pure arithmetic I've found the following to be a great source:

Behrooz Parhami. "Computer Arithmetic - Algorithms and Hadwae Designs".
Oxford Press. ISBN 0-19-512583-5

For arithmetic and DSP implementation:

Lars Wanhammar. "DSP Integrated Circuits"
Academic Press. ISBN 0-12-734530-2

For digital signal processing in general:

John. G. Proakis et al. "Digital Signal Processing - Principles, Algorithms
and Applications". 2ed. Macmillan. 0-02-396815-x.

Also, any budding HW-designer and CPU-architect should have (at least) one
copy of Hennesey & Pattersons "Computer Architecture - A quantitative Approach".

I've also found "Introduction to Algorithms" by Cormen, Leiserson and Rivet to
be immensely useful, esp for understanding complexity analysis - which is very
much an art to master in HW-design.

On-line stuff I'll recommend any day is things like.
(1) Reto Zimmermanns VLSI stuff, esp his class notes:
http://www.iis.ee.ethz.ch/~zimmi/

(2) Ray Andrakas publications on CORDICs an DSP-stuff implemented in (Xilinx)
FPGAs: http://www.andraka.com/papers.htm

(3) Ken Chapman/Xilinx who has written several great articles and notes. Check
out his 5 articles about the design of the KCPCM/PicoBlaze.
http://www.xilinx.com/support/techxclusives/techX-home.htm

(4) John Cooleys Deep Chip pages with not only the ESNUG archive, but also
tons of interesting things, links to great papers (which among other things
deals with arithmetic implementations) etc:
http://www.deepchip.com/

There are tons more. Your library will simply never be complete. I know my
won't. Who could for example really survive without Knuths "Art of
Programming"-series?

--
Med vänlig hälsning, Yours

VP, Research & Development