[oc] Re: Re: Processor Instruction reply for Andreas

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 10:39:37AM -0000, Paul McFeeters wrote:
> Also as Shengyu Shen has found out ARM are very touchy about their
> instruction set so I'd worry that if I studied theirs I could be
> accused of pinching ideas from them.

Being accused of copying only happens on copyright issues.  To my
knowledge it APIs and instruction sets are commonly regarded
non-copyrightable (otherwise clones and emulators would have a hard
time - e.g. Microsoft can't do anything against WINE).

The way ARM would get at you would be by patents.  In a patent suit it
doesn't matter if you invented something all on your own without knowing
of the patent or existing technology.  If you infringe their patents
they can always sue you (and probably win).

--
Andreas Bombe <bombe@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>    DSA key 0x04880A44