From: owner-cores@opencores.org [mailto:owner-cores@opencores.org]On
Behalf Of Jim Dempsey
Sent: 08 December 2001 01:12
To: cores@opencores.org
Subject: Re: [oc] Re: Merlin Hybrid System

>From Intel (http://developer.intel.com/technology/hyperthread/)

"Intel® Corporation introduced its Hyper-Threading Technology at the Fall
2001 Intel Developer Forum. Hyper-Threading Technology will enable the world
's first simultaneous multi-threaded (SMT) processor. Today's processor
exploits Instruction Level Parallelism (ILP), but mutually exclusive
hardware resources exist. However, by developing an architecture state for
two processors which share a single physical processor's resources, two
programs or threads can execute simultaneously. Thus, one physical processor
looks like two logical processors to the OS and applications."

What I am talking about is something completely different.

The technology I am talking about will use multiple processors that will
give the operating system and applications running thereon the appearance of
running on one processor. But in reality what would normaly be viewed as a
single thread running on one processor is in fact running in fragments
concurrently on multiplt processors.