Re: [oc] New 64bit instructions for 32bit processor cores analogy

Hi Paul,

> Wouldn't matter much on my PC, disk access is so slow I sometimes wonder
> whether I'm accessing the floppy or not. Gotta love Win98, when I dual
> boot to Win2K the same performance program rates the same drives at
> 5x faster. Good old Microsoft, now where did I leave my voodoo doll?
True, for this reason I still use Win95 when I have to Windoze ;-)

> Yes a variable length instruction is possible and available commercially.
> www.motorola.com/coldfire products use it. They call it VL-RISC which
> presumably stands for Variable Length RISC. Looked at using their CPUs
> in some projects briefly before I discovered FPGAs. They are aimed at
> SoC type areas hence the processors have everything up to and including
> Ethernet/USB ports on them. Harvard memory architecture, built-in DRAM
> controllers (except the lower 2 models) and other things. It might have
> even have a 10 stage pipeline, 10 blocks in the diagram anyway ;-)

I see, anyway using a 64 bit interface makes sense, when you consider the
price of memory modules compared to single memory chips. You see I don't
understand anything about instruction set. I was just impressed of my 80c51
that uses all instruction codes except one or two out of 256 and the fact
that almost every application can fit into a 64kByte EPROM.

> Still working on the computer with a CPU core for the Linux project so
> maybe crack that one when I can devote some time to it. :)
At any time.

Dani