Re: [oc] Re: MP3 decode core.

> > As far as I know, MP3 decoder always has an embeded DSP core and a
> > set of program, rather than a pure IP core.
>
> Nonsense.  Just one counterexample is the decoder tweaked to run under
> NetBSD on the DEC DNARD (Network Computers).  It runs just fine on its
> 233MHz StrongARM, which doesn't even have floating point.
You are surely right, that mp3 decoder does not need DSP - I run mp3 decoder
on my Pentium... but I thought we are talking about dedicated mp3 decoder
CPU or mp3 code completely in HDL. It is kind of logical for such dedicated
cpu to have DSP capabilities and this way you need only 24MHz instead of
233MHz (for StrongARM).

regards,
    Marko