Re: [oc] Testing Implemented Design in FPGA

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 09:23:32AM +0800, ZhangMutong wrote:
> Hi,
> Why not go and find a LA --- logic analyzer? Cute enough. I love it.
> Furthermore, anyone has idea about Xilinx's ChipScope? I know it is a set
> of cores and host applications. You can embeded the core into your own
> FPGA implementation, and use the host application to debug your logic. Am

I should note that I haven't played with it myself, but I was pretty
thrilled with the idea when I first saw it discussed at a Xilinx seminar
about a year ago.  I should get off my ass and get it...

> I right? Anyone will give us some more imformation? Where can I get a free
> copy? :)

>From what I recall, they were pretty much giving the core away - it was
something like $100 when you bought the Multilinx cable, which is needed
to use it.  Still, though, even after you spend $500 or whatever the
Multilinx cable costs, it's a damn good deal.

> 	Or, anybody has interesting in building a similar product and send it
> to OpenCore? That will be a good thing. Bow!

It'd need a fundamentally different approach than that taken by Xilinx,
I think.  If it's anything like "probing" using Foundation's FPGA Editor,
the nets are specified and probed *after* PAR, making it a technology-
specific thing.

It would certainly be a win to move it "upwards" in the design so that
it's easier port to different manufacturers.  More information is needed -
has anyone on-list used it?  Are any of the other vendors doing anything
similar?

Jonathan