Re: [oc] Silicon Implementation

John Sheahan wrote:

> Hi Ali
> should I assume this is just a learning exercise then?

Yes it is, I'm in H.S. and I'm learning how to use the software for
implementation like Magic and Alliance. Since I can't get anything
else(too expensive ;( ).

> 25 -- 0.8 micron is so old, that fpga has way passed it for performance.
> So in small, there is now no point doing custom.
>
> FPGA's have a place. I don't think its fair ot assume a designer
> should 'move away'. In fact I think the opposite is happening more and
> more as mask sets skyrocket in price.
>
> 5 years ago the point to move from fpga to asic was clear. Not so much
> now.   Unless you need either much more than 1M gates or *lots* or
> performance, or you want to make millions of them, then custom chips
> make little sense.

Can you suggest a FAST FPGA that uses Antifuse or NVRAM? 300K to 500K.
Cheap and low power? Price is more important than power I will probably
have to use a Li-ion battery anyways.

> You need expensive tools for floorplanning, placement, routing ,
> 2.5D extraction,  DRC , power integrity, NVL, etc.   Its not hobby
> stuff.  And if you are not using them all day, you stuff up.
It's hobby stuff for me. I do nothing all day but sit and work on my
chip designs ;).