[oc] How To get started ?

 I am interested in getting started with opencores, and think the first step would be to get one of the available cores up and running on an FPGA and test it out.

What is required, should I start with the micro fpga board ?
What kind of PC software is needed, is it available for free ?

Perhaps someone would like to write a getting-started-HOWTO ?

I am an electronics master engineer, with hardware knowledge, but no experience of FPGAs and IP cores.