Re: [video] VGA controller implementation

> > It's not that hard (if I am not mistaken pretty easy actually). But you
> > have to wait a few weeks. I am moving (to another country) and my file
> > server went ahead (Fed-Ex-ed it). I am moving in two weeks.
>
> So, where are you moving to?? You're in Thailand at the moment right??
> And, how to you Fed-Ex a file server.. how much does it cost to fedex a
>
> computer?? curious.. in case I might ever have to move.. (:

I am moving from Thailand to The Netherlands. And shipping everything, from a
bunch of UPSes to the computer monitor and some clothes as damping material,
it was about USD750 (almost 90kg in total).

> > FPGA-Compiler2 huh, and it doesn't understand the RAM thingie huh.
> > I already knew that FPGA-Express doesn't recognize it (worst piece of
> > FPGA tool I've had to work with). But the fact that FC2 doesn't recognize
> > it is straight out sad. You would expect Synopsis to do better than that.
>
> Well, I asked them that.. and they said that they were concentrated on
> ASIC design.. FPGA design is a very small part of their market.. they
> are the standard with DC and VCS in the ASIC market..

That's exactly why I said that FPGA-Express and FC2 are sad products.

> so, they don't
> work much on FC2.. that's why they don't sell FC2 but give it away as a
> free gift when you buy other synopsys products.. I'm on my practical
> training with the local representative of Synopsys products for the
> moment..

Hmm, interresting point. They've got the technology to map huge designs into
standard/full-custom cells and do all the cool stuff (like retiming, area
optimizations, etc), but they cannot effectively do the same for FPGAs. My
guess is that FPGAs would be easier, because the structure is less flexible.
But then again that's probably why I am not developing synthesis tools :-)