[ethmac] Hardware Ping

Hello All,

I was wondering if anybody could help me out with an automatic hardware
pinger.  We have the core and everything compiled and it works, and I just
want to write a hardware standalone module to download into my FPGA to
respond to pings so we can see this thing work, which I don't think would
be too bad.  I just need to check to see if it's a ping request, then send
a ping acknowledge back to the appropriate address... all that can easily
be done in hardware... however, do I need to deal with ARP and all of that
to let the network know that I'm there, or can I just hook up a static IP
address to this things <we have one of those> and hook it up and ping it?

Thanks,
Nick