Re: [oc] The use of both edge of the clock.

On Sat, 2003-06-14 at 01:46, nico@seul.org wrote:
> At school, we learn that design must be full synchronous on one edge of
> the clock to avoid any timing hasard.
>
> But, i see very often some chip interface that sample or deliver the data
> at the folling edge of the clock. Does this trick very usefull ? Does it
> generate dozen of "false path" for synthetiser ?
>
> What is the common rules and pitfall about using this ?

this trick is (well, was)  very common in the datacomms world.
Sending data from one place to another on one edge - and sampling on
the other, can help a lot with setup and hold under the right
circumstances.

(usually those where things are slow enough that clock and data are sent
 separately. Faster - embedded clock is the way to go)
john