[oc] Writing a program for a BIOS or EEPROM

Hello I am working on a project to build a "Life Style" PC. I need to have
some way of writing an application either to the BIOS or some other
eeprom that will load straight away as soon as the machine is turned on
instead of waiting for an os to boot up. Does any one have any ideas
what so ever as to how this would be possible. I really hope so because
this is very exciting project but I am just held back by my lack of
programing knowledge and eeproms etc.

Cheers
Tom