[oc] Reinventing the wheel. Lets make it a sphere this time!

John,

> I have spent the last decade designing with HDLs.  I like to think
> of myself as quite a competent 'hardware person'.  My big problem
> is that as digital design gets higher level, and my understanding
> improves, I increasingly have the view that us 'hardware people'
> are reinventing the wheel.  Much of the wheel exists and it is free.

A common problem, over the years I myself have on occasion reinvented
a software wheel or two. I suppose as I enjoy coding (software or hardware)
it wasn't too bad except for the waste of time. Drop anybody into a new language
and its a pretty sure fire bet that they will reinvent a few wheels as part
of their learning process and maybe even after a few years experience. Shall
we just call ourselves something like coders or programmers? That way it works
for both hardware and software.

Paul