Re: [oc] New 64bit instructions for 32bit processor cores analogy

Paul,

Three data points for you - ARM has both a 16 and 32 bit instruction set.
The Tensilica processor has a variable instruction set from 16 to 32 bits depending on what it's
doing.
The ULTIMATE variable instruction set machine was the Burroughs B1700 which could vary it's data
path from 1 bit to 24 bits in length. It was used as a platform to run interpreters, used
self-modifying code on purpose in same (makes GREAT computed gotos when you can OR in to the
instruction word on the fly) The interpreted languages it ran used huffman encoded word lengths
for the different instructions to save memory.  An MOVE instruction would be MUCH shorter than a
square-root instruction. (I worked on this one too ;-)

Steve Wilson