Re: [oc] ATA-3 or General ATA Questions

I'm looking to program an FPGA to read a byte stream from a DVD-ROM drive (DVD-R Disc) and output the byte stream at 2MHz rate to a output bus.  All I want to do is to start the DVD reading and let it run until there is no more data.  Looking at the ATA-3 core it appears that I need to reset the system, use identify packet device to program timing registers, and then start reading data.  Is this correct? Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Do I need to worry about the DVD providing data faster than what I am using (is there some sort of timeout on the DVD end) ?

Hmm, interesting question.

Normally you should perform a "Identify Device" command towards any connected ATA-devices. If you know on forehand what device will be connected, you can skip this. Because the device will not report any information you don't already have.

I think ATAPI supports play-and-forget, meaning tell the DVD to start playing and it will stop when there is no more data. I am not sure about this. But when looking at how DVD-ROMs, CD-ROMs and standard players work, this should be possible.

The 2MHz output bus is way to slow. DVDs use UDMA for high-quality videos (meaning 33MBytes per sec data). Read the ATA/ATAPI-5 manual. The cores are all based on this.

Richard

Scott Morris
Research Engineer
Battelle Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
MS P8-20
Richland, WA 99352
Phone: 509-376-3860