Re: [oc] Testing Implemented Design in FPGA

The paragraph below is taken from Xilinx web site and explains how the
Chipscope works.

    "The ChipScope ILA Flow
    The ILA and Control cores are generated through the Web using a Java
    application. The cores are inserted into the design HDL code and
connected to
    the internal busses and signals to be extracted. Then the design is
    synthesized and placed and routed using Xilinx' Foundation or Alliance
series
    tools. The bitstream is downloaded and can be analyzed through the
ChipScope
    software."

I haven't used the Chipscope, so I don't know if the cores have Xilinx
macros. ( but from a business standpoint, it would make more sense to Xilinx
to make the cores Xilinx-specific.) One thing is sure is that the probes are
not inserted after PAR. By the way, Xilinx sells the cores for $495 and $895
with MultiLINX cable.

Jim