RE: [oc] legality of cores?!

At 03:27 PM 5/31/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Jim, you ask a good question.  However, I don't believe it is illegal to use
>information freely available in order to reverse engineer a processor.  As
>long as no inside private information from ARM is used, it should be legal.
>AMD obviously makes a clone of the Intel processors and gets away with it.
>But it should be checked out as I am not a Lawyer (thank God).

Hi Jeff

The rub is that if you infringe on any patents they may have on the
implementation it doesn't matter where you got the information. This
is the reason the Lexra doesn't support the unaligned load/store
instructions that MIPS has a patent on.

Sorry ;-(

Kent

Praesum Communications                          Phone: (510) 337-0495
Suite 1                                         Fax:   (510) 337-0418
1134E Ballena Blvd                              email: kent@praesum.com
Alameda, Ca. 94501                              web:   www.praesum.com