[oc] FIFO or shared memory

Hi,
For the HDLC controller core and all other
communication controllers, what would be the best
external memory buffering FIFO or shared memory?

Currently I have FIFO interface which is simpler but
have limitation on the control of the Frame
(datafragment) On shared dual port memory the
interface will be harder but the Fragments will be
organized in better way and it is easier to fetch them

What do you suggest? should I made the interface for
teh controller generic and leave this option to the
system intgreator to build the suitable interface ?

Regards
Jamil Khatib