Re: [oc] Non-stalling pipeline?

On Saturday 30 March 2002 01:10 am, you wrote:
> http://www.sun.com/processors/UltraSPARC-III/specs.html
>
> Sun here says that their ultra sparc III has a 14 stage non stalling
> pipeline. How is that possible or am i misunderstanding this?
>
> Ali

Well, the real question is WHY do pipelines have to be stalled
in the first place ? I would like to suggest to view pipeline stalling
as a design flaw in the first place. You stall a pipeline because
you can not continue execution due to some dependency and
or data not being available.

Sun finally sat down and "fixed" those problems. A properly
engineered RISC should not need to stall it's pipeline.

regards,
rudi