Subject: CVE-2024-50023: net: phy: Remove LED entry from LEDs list on unregister

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

net: phy: Remove LED entry from LEDs list on unregister

Commit c938ab4da0eb ("net: phy: Manual remove LEDs to ensure correct
ordering") correctly fixed a problem with using devm_ but missed
removing the LED entry from the LEDs list.

This cause kernel panic on specific scenario where the port for the PHY
is torn down and up and the kmod for the PHY is removed.

On setting the port down the first time, the assosiacted LEDs are
correctly unregistered. The associated kmod for the PHY is now removed.
The kmod is now added again and the port is now put up, the associated LED
are registered again.
On putting the port down again for the second time after these step, the
LED list now have 4 elements. With the first 2 already unregistered
previously and the 2 new one registered again.

This cause a kernel panic as the first 2 element should have been
removed.

Fix this by correctly removing the element when LED is unregistered.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-50023 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.4 with commit c938ab4da0eb and fixed in 6.6.57 with commit 143ffa7878e2
	Issue introduced in 6.4 with commit c938ab4da0eb and fixed in 6.11.4 with commit fba363f4d244
	Issue introduced in 6.4 with commit c938ab4da0eb and fixed in 6.12-rc3 with commit f50b5d74c68e

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-50023
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/net/phy/phy_device.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/143ffa7878e2d9d9c3836ee8304ce4930f7852a3
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/fba363f4d244269a0ba7abb8df953a244c6749af
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f50b5d74c68e551667e265123659b187a30fe3a5