Subject: CVE-2024-49998: net: dsa: improve shutdown sequence

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

net: dsa: improve shutdown sequence

Alexander Sverdlin presents 2 problems during shutdown with the
lan9303 driver. One is specific to lan9303 and the other just happens
to reproduce there.

The first problem is that lan9303 is unique among DSA drivers in that it
calls dev_get_drvdata() at "arbitrary runtime" (not probe, not shutdown,
not remove):

phy_state_machine()
-> ...
   -> dsa_user_phy_read()
      -> ds->ops->phy_read()
         -> lan9303_phy_read()
            -> chip->ops->phy_read()
               -> lan9303_mdio_phy_read()
                  -> dev_get_drvdata()

But we never stop the phy_state_machine(), so it may continue to run
after dsa_switch_shutdown(). Our common pattern in all DSA drivers is
to set drvdata to NULL to suppress the remove() method that may come
afterwards. But in this case it will result in an NPD.

The second problem is that the way in which we set
dp->conduit->dsa_ptr = NULL; is concurrent with receive packet
processing. dsa_switch_rcv() checks once whether dev->dsa_ptr is NULL,
but afterwards, rather than continuing to use that non-NULL value,
dev->dsa_ptr is dereferenced again and again without NULL checks:
dsa_conduit_find_user() and many other places. In between dereferences,
there is no locking to ensure that what was valid once continues to be
valid.

Both problems have the common aspect that closing the conduit interface
solves them.

In the first case, dev_close(conduit) triggers the NETDEV_GOING_DOWN
event in dsa_user_netdevice_event() which closes user ports as well.
dsa_port_disable_rt() calls phylink_stop(), which synchronously stops
the phylink state machine, and ds->ops->phy_read() will thus no longer
call into the driver after this point.

In the second case, dev_close(conduit) should do this, as per
Documentation/networking/driver.rst:

| Quiescence
| ----------
|
| After the ndo_stop routine has been called, the hardware must
| not receive or transmit any data.  All in flight packets must
| be aborted. If necessary, poll or wait for completion of
| any reset commands.

So it should be sufficient to ensure that later, when we zeroize
conduit->dsa_ptr, there will be no concurrent dsa_switch_rcv() call
on this conduit.

The addition of the netif_device_detach() function is to ensure that
ioctls, rtnetlinks and ethtool requests on the user ports no longer
propagate down to the driver - we're no longer prepared to handle them.

The race condition actually did not exist when commit 0650bf52b31f
("net: dsa: be compatible with masters which unregister on shutdown")
first introduced dsa_switch_shutdown(). It was created later, when we
stopped unregistering the user interfaces from a bad spot, and we just
replaced that sequence with a racy zeroization of conduit->dsa_ptr
(one which doesn't ensure that the interfaces aren't up).

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-49998 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.17 with commit ee534378f005 and fixed in 6.10.14 with commit ab5d3420a112
	Issue introduced in 5.17 with commit ee534378f005 and fixed in 6.11.3 with commit b4a65d479213
	Issue introduced in 5.17 with commit ee534378f005 and fixed in 6.12-rc2 with commit 6c24a03a61a2
	Issue introduced in 5.15.155 with commit ff45899e732e
	Issue introduced in 5.16.10 with commit 89b60402d43c

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-49998
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	net/dsa/dsa.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ab5d3420a1120950703dbdc33698b28a6ebc3d23
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b4a65d479213fe84ecb14e328271251eebe69492
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/6c24a03a61a245fe34d47582898331fa034b6ccd