Subject: CVE-2024-49942: drm/xe: Prevent null pointer access in xe_migrate_copy

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

drm/xe: Prevent null pointer access in xe_migrate_copy

xe_migrate_copy designed to copy content of TTM resources. When source
resource is null, it will trigger a NULL pointer dereference in
xe_migrate_copy. To avoid this situation, update lacks source flag to
true for this case, the flag will trigger xe_migrate_clear rather than
xe_migrate_copy.

Issue trace:
<7> [317.089847] xe 0000:00:02.0: [drm:xe_migrate_copy [xe]] Pass 14,
 sizes: 4194304 & 4194304
<7> [317.089945] xe 0000:00:02.0: [drm:xe_migrate_copy [xe]] Pass 15,
 sizes: 4194304 & 4194304
<1> [317.128055] BUG: kernel NULL pointer dereference, address:
 0000000000000010
<1> [317.128064] #PF: supervisor read access in kernel mode
<1> [317.128066] #PF: error_code(0x0000) - not-present page
<6> [317.128069] PGD 0 P4D 0
<4> [317.128071] Oops: Oops: 0000 [#1] PREEMPT SMP NOPTI
<4> [317.128074] CPU: 1 UID: 0 PID: 1440 Comm: kunit_try_catch Tainted:
 G     U           N 6.11.0-rc7-xe #1
<4> [317.128078] Tainted: [U]=USER, [N]=TEST
<4> [317.128080] Hardware name: Intel Corporation Lunar Lake Client
 Platform/LNL-M LP5 RVP1, BIOS LNLMFWI1.R00.3221.D80.2407291239 07/29/2024
<4> [317.128082] RIP: 0010:xe_migrate_copy+0x66/0x13e0 [xe]
<4> [317.128158] Code: 00 00 48 89 8d e0 fe ff ff 48 8b 40 10 4c 89 85 c8
 fe ff ff 44 88 8d bd fe ff ff 65 48 8b 3c 25 28 00 00 00 48 89 7d d0 31
 ff <8b> 79 10 48 89 85 a0 fe ff ff 48 8b 00 48 89 b5 d8 fe ff ff 83 ff
<4> [317.128162] RSP: 0018:ffffc9000167f9f0 EFLAGS: 00010246
<4> [317.128164] RAX: ffff8881120d8028 RBX: ffff88814d070428 RCX:
 0000000000000000
<4> [317.128166] RDX: ffff88813cb99c00 RSI: 0000000004000000 RDI:
 0000000000000000
<4> [317.128168] RBP: ffffc9000167fbb8 R08: ffff88814e7b1f08 R09:
 0000000000000001
<4> [317.128170] R10: 0000000000000001 R11: 0000000000000001 R12:
 ffff88814e7b1f08
<4> [317.128172] R13: ffff88814e7b1f08 R14: ffff88813cb99c00 R15:
 0000000000000001
<4> [317.128174] FS:  0000000000000000(0000) GS:ffff88846f280000(0000)
 knlGS:0000000000000000
<4> [317.128176] CS:  0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 0000000080050033
<4> [317.128178] CR2: 0000000000000010 CR3: 000000011f676004 CR4:
 0000000000770ef0
<4> [317.128180] DR0: 0000000000000000 DR1: 0000000000000000 DR2:
 0000000000000000
<4> [317.128182] DR3: 0000000000000000 DR6: 00000000ffff07f0 DR7:
 0000000000000400
<4> [317.128184] PKRU: 55555554
<4> [317.128185] Call Trace:
<4> [317.128187]  <TASK>
<4> [317.128189]  ? show_regs+0x67/0x70
<4> [317.128194]  ? __die_body+0x20/0x70
<4> [317.128196]  ? __die+0x2b/0x40
<4> [317.128198]  ? page_fault_oops+0x15f/0x4e0
<4> [317.128203]  ? do_user_addr_fault+0x3fb/0x970
<4> [317.128205]  ? lock_acquire+0xc7/0x2e0
<4> [317.128209]  ? exc_page_fault+0x87/0x2b0
<4> [317.128212]  ? asm_exc_page_fault+0x27/0x30
<4> [317.128216]  ? xe_migrate_copy+0x66/0x13e0 [xe]
<4> [317.128263]  ? __lock_acquire+0xb9d/0x26f0
<4> [317.128265]  ? __lock_acquire+0xb9d/0x26f0
<4> [317.128267]  ? sg_free_append_table+0x20/0x80
<4> [317.128271]  ? lock_acquire+0xc7/0x2e0
<4> [317.128273]  ? mark_held_locks+0x4d/0x80
<4> [317.128275]  ? trace_hardirqs_on+0x1e/0xd0
<4> [317.128278]  ? _raw_spin_unlock_irqrestore+0x31/0x60
<4> [317.128281]  ? __pm_runtime_resume+0x60/0xa0
<4> [317.128284]  xe_bo_move+0x682/0xc50 [xe]
<4> [317.128315]  ? lock_is_held_type+0xaa/0x120
<4> [317.128318]  ttm_bo_handle_move_mem+0xe5/0x1a0 [ttm]
<4> [317.128324]  ttm_bo_validate+0xd1/0x1a0 [ttm]
<4> [317.128328]  shrink_test_run_device+0x721/0xc10 [xe]
<4> [317.128360]  ? find_held_lock+0x31/0x90
<4> [317.128363]  ? lock_release+0xd1/0x2a0
<4> [317.128365]  ? __pfx_kunit_generic_run_threadfn_adapter+0x10/0x10
 [kunit]
<4> [317.128370]  xe_bo_shrink_kunit+0x11/0x20 [xe]
<4> [317.128397]  kunit_try_run_case+0x6e/0x150 [kunit]
<4> [317.128400]  ? trace_hardirqs_on+0x1e/0xd0
<4> [317.128402]  ? _raw_spin_unlock_irqrestore+0x31/0x60
<4> [317.128404]  kunit_generic_run_threadfn_adapter+0x1e/0x40 [kunit]
<4> [317.128407]  kthread+0xf5/0x130
<4> [317.128410]  ? __pfx_kthread+0x10/0x10
<4> [317.128412]  ret_from_fork+0x39/0x60
<4> [317.128415]  ? __pfx_kthread+0x10/0x10
<4> [317.128416]  ret_from_fork_asm+0x1a/0x30
<4> [317.128420]  </TASK>

(cherry picked from commit 59a1c9c7e1d02b43b415ea92627ce095b7c79e47)

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-49942 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.8 with commit 266c85885263 and fixed in 6.10.14 with commit 16e0267db156
	Issue introduced in 6.8 with commit 266c85885263 and fixed in 6.11.3 with commit 8f5199b6971f
	Issue introduced in 6.8 with commit 266c85885263 and fixed in 6.12-rc2 with commit 7257d9c9a3c6

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-49942
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/gpu/drm/xe/xe_bo.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/16e0267db156f8a4ea16bfb3ac3f5743c9698df3
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/8f5199b6971f0717c2d31685953971fa2e1b9e1a
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/7257d9c9a3c6cfe26c428e9b7ae21d61f2f55a79