Subject: CVE-2024-49880: ext4: fix off by one issue in alloc_flex_gd()

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

ext4: fix off by one issue in alloc_flex_gd()

Wesley reported an issue:

==================================================================
EXT4-fs (dm-5): resizing filesystem from 7168 to 786432 blocks
------------[ cut here ]------------
kernel BUG at fs/ext4/resize.c:324!
CPU: 9 UID: 0 PID: 3576 Comm: resize2fs Not tainted 6.11.0+ #27
RIP: 0010:ext4_resize_fs+0x1212/0x12d0
Call Trace:
 __ext4_ioctl+0x4e0/0x1800
 ext4_ioctl+0x12/0x20
 __x64_sys_ioctl+0x99/0xd0
 x64_sys_call+0x1206/0x20d0
 do_syscall_64+0x72/0x110
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x76/0x7e
==================================================================

While reviewing the patch, Honza found that when adjusting resize_bg in
alloc_flex_gd(), it was possible for flex_gd->resize_bg to be bigger than
flexbg_size.

The reproduction of the problem requires the following:

 o_group = flexbg_size * 2 * n;
 o_size = (o_group + 1) * group_size;
 n_group: [o_group + flexbg_size, o_group + flexbg_size * 2)
 o_size = (n_group + 1) * group_size;

Take n=0,flexbg_size=16 as an example:

              last:15
|o---------------|--------------n-|
o_group:0    resize to      n_group:30

The corresponding reproducer is:

img=test.img
rm -f $img
truncate -s 600M $img
mkfs.ext4 -F $img -b 1024 -G 16 8M
dev=`losetup -f --show $img`
mkdir -p /tmp/test
mount $dev /tmp/test
resize2fs $dev 248M

Delete the problematic plus 1 to fix the issue, and add a WARN_ON_ONCE()
to prevent the issue from happening again.

[ Note: another reproucer which this commit fixes is:

  img=test.img
  rm -f $img
  truncate -s 25MiB $img
  mkfs.ext4 -b 4096 -E nodiscard,lazy_itable_init=0,lazy_journal_init=0 $img
  truncate -s 3GiB $img
  dev=`losetup -f --show $img`
  mkdir -p /tmp/test
  mount $dev /tmp/test
  resize2fs $dev 3G
  umount $dev
  losetup -d $dev

  -- TYT ]

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-49880 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.8 with commit 665d3e0af4d3 and fixed in 6.10.14 with commit 0d80d2b8bf61
	Issue introduced in 6.8 with commit 665d3e0af4d3 and fixed in 6.11.3 with commit acb559d68261
	Issue introduced in 6.8 with commit 665d3e0af4d3 and fixed in 6.12-rc2 with commit 6121258c2b33

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-49880
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	fs/ext4/resize.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/0d80d2b8bf613398baf7185009e35f9d0459ecb0
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/acb559d6826116cc113598640d105094620c2526
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/6121258c2b33ceac3d21f6a221452692c465df88