Subject: CVE-2024-49867: btrfs: wait for fixup workers before stopping cleaner kthread during umount

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

btrfs: wait for fixup workers before stopping cleaner kthread during umount

During unmount, at close_ctree(), we have the following steps in this order:

1) Park the cleaner kthread - this doesn't destroy the kthread, it basically
   halts its execution (wake ups against it work but do nothing);

2) We stop the cleaner kthread - this results in freeing the respective
   struct task_struct;

3) We call btrfs_stop_all_workers() which waits for any jobs running in all
   the work queues and then free the work queues.

Syzbot reported a case where a fixup worker resulted in a crash when doing
a delayed iput on its inode while attempting to wake up the cleaner at
btrfs_add_delayed_iput(), because the task_struct of the cleaner kthread
was already freed. This can happen during unmount because we don't wait
for any fixup workers still running before we call kthread_stop() against
the cleaner kthread, which stops and free all its resources.

Fix this by waiting for any fixup workers at close_ctree() before we call
kthread_stop() against the cleaner and run pending delayed iputs.

The stack traces reported by syzbot were the following:

  BUG: KASAN: slab-use-after-free in __lock_acquire+0x77/0x2050 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:5065
  Read of size 8 at addr ffff8880272a8a18 by task kworker/u8:3/52

  CPU: 1 UID: 0 PID: 52 Comm: kworker/u8:3 Not tainted 6.12.0-rc1-syzkaller #0
  Hardware name: Google Google Compute Engine/Google Compute Engine, BIOS Google 09/13/2024
  Workqueue: btrfs-fixup btrfs_work_helper
  Call Trace:
   <TASK>
   __dump_stack lib/dump_stack.c:94 [inline]
   dump_stack_lvl+0x241/0x360 lib/dump_stack.c:120
   print_address_description mm/kasan/report.c:377 [inline]
   print_report+0x169/0x550 mm/kasan/report.c:488
   kasan_report+0x143/0x180 mm/kasan/report.c:601
   __lock_acquire+0x77/0x2050 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:5065
   lock_acquire+0x1ed/0x550 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:5825
   __raw_spin_lock_irqsave include/linux/spinlock_api_smp.h:110 [inline]
   _raw_spin_lock_irqsave+0xd5/0x120 kernel/locking/spinlock.c:162
   class_raw_spinlock_irqsave_constructor include/linux/spinlock.h:551 [inline]
   try_to_wake_up+0xb0/0x1480 kernel/sched/core.c:4154
   btrfs_writepage_fixup_worker+0xc16/0xdf0 fs/btrfs/inode.c:2842
   btrfs_work_helper+0x390/0xc50 fs/btrfs/async-thread.c:314
   process_one_work kernel/workqueue.c:3229 [inline]
   process_scheduled_works+0xa63/0x1850 kernel/workqueue.c:3310
   worker_thread+0x870/0xd30 kernel/workqueue.c:3391
   kthread+0x2f0/0x390 kernel/kthread.c:389
   ret_from_fork+0x4b/0x80 arch/x86/kernel/process.c:147
   ret_from_fork_asm+0x1a/0x30 arch/x86/entry/entry_64.S:244
   </TASK>

  Allocated by task 2:
   kasan_save_stack mm/kasan/common.c:47 [inline]
   kasan_save_track+0x3f/0x80 mm/kasan/common.c:68
   unpoison_slab_object mm/kasan/common.c:319 [inline]
   __kasan_slab_alloc+0x66/0x80 mm/kasan/common.c:345
   kasan_slab_alloc include/linux/kasan.h:247 [inline]
   slab_post_alloc_hook mm/slub.c:4086 [inline]
   slab_alloc_node mm/slub.c:4135 [inline]
   kmem_cache_alloc_node_noprof+0x16b/0x320 mm/slub.c:4187
   alloc_task_struct_node kernel/fork.c:180 [inline]
   dup_task_struct+0x57/0x8c0 kernel/fork.c:1107
   copy_process+0x5d1/0x3d50 kernel/fork.c:2206
   kernel_clone+0x223/0x880 kernel/fork.c:2787
   kernel_thread+0x1bc/0x240 kernel/fork.c:2849
   create_kthread kernel/kthread.c:412 [inline]
   kthreadd+0x60d/0x810 kernel/kthread.c:765
   ret_from_fork+0x4b/0x80 arch/x86/kernel/process.c:147
   ret_from_fork_asm+0x1a/0x30 arch/x86/entry/entry_64.S:244

  Freed by task 61:
   kasan_save_stack mm/kasan/common.c:47 [inline]
   kasan_save_track+0x3f/0x80 mm/kasan/common.c:68
   kasan_save_free_info+0x40/0x50 mm/kasan/generic.c:579
   poison_slab_object mm/kasan/common.c:247 [inline]
   __kasan_slab_free+0x59/0x70 mm/kasan/common.c:264
   kasan_slab_free include/linux/kasan.h:230 [inline]
   slab_free_hook mm/slub.c:2343 [inline]
   slab_free mm/slub.c:4580 [inline]
   kmem_cache_free+0x1a2/0x420 mm/slub.c:4682
   put_task_struct include/linux/sched/task.h:144 [inline]
   delayed_put_task_struct+0x125/0x300 kernel/exit.c:228
   rcu_do_batch kernel/rcu/tree.c:2567 [inline]
   rcu_core+0xaaa/0x17a0 kernel/rcu/tree.c:2823
   handle_softirqs+0x2c5/0x980 kernel/softirq.c:554
   __do_softirq kernel/softirq.c:588 [inline]
   invoke_softirq kernel/softirq.c:428 [inline]
   __irq_exit_rcu+0xf4/0x1c0 kernel/softirq.c:637
   irq_exit_rcu+0x9/0x30 kernel/softirq.c:649
   instr_sysvec_apic_timer_interrupt arch/x86/kernel/apic/apic.c:1037 [inline]
   sysvec_apic_timer_interrupt+0xa6/0xc0 arch/x86/kernel/apic/apic.c:1037
   asm_sysvec_apic_timer_interrupt+0x1a/0x20 arch/x86/include/asm/idtentry.h:702

  Last potentially related work creation:
   kasan_save_stack+0x3f/0x60 mm/kasan/common.c:47
   __kasan_record_aux_stack+0xac/0xc0 mm/kasan/generic.c:541
   __call_rcu_common kernel/rcu/tree.c:3086 [inline]
   call_rcu+0x167/0xa70 kernel/rcu/tree.c:3190
   context_switch kernel/sched/core.c:5318 [inline]
   __schedule+0x184b/0x4ae0 kernel/sched/core.c:6675
   schedule_idle+0x56/0x90 kernel/sched/core.c:6793
   do_idle+0x56a/0x5d0 kernel/sched/idle.c:354
   cpu_startup_entry+0x42/0x60 kernel/sched/idle.c:424
   start_secondary+0x102/0x110 arch/x86/kernel/smpboot.c:314
   common_startup_64+0x13e/0x147

  The buggy address belongs to the object at ffff8880272a8000
   which belongs to the cache task_struct of size 7424
  The buggy address is located 2584 bytes inside of
   freed 7424-byte region [ffff8880272a8000, ffff8880272a9d00)

  The buggy address belongs to the physical page:
  page: refcount:1 mapcount:0 mapping:0000000000000000 index:0x0 pfn:0x272a8
  head: order:3 mapcount:0 entire_mapcount:0 nr_pages_mapped:0 pincount:0
  flags: 0xfff00000000040(head|node=0|zone=1|lastcpupid=0x7ff)
  page_type: f5(slab)
  raw: 00fff00000000040 ffff88801bafa500 dead000000000122 0000000000000000
  raw: 0000000000000000 0000000080040004 00000001f5000000 0000000000000000
  head: 00fff00000000040 ffff88801bafa500 dead000000000122 0000000000000000
  head: 0000000000000000 0000000080040004 00000001f5000000 0000000000000000
  head: 00fff00000000003 ffffea00009caa01 ffffffffffffffff 0000000000000000
  head: 0000000000000008 0000000000000000 00000000ffffffff 0000000000000000
  page dumped because: kasan: bad access detected
  page_owner tracks the page as allocated
  page last allocated via order 3, migratetype Unmovable, gfp_mask 0xd20c0(__GFP_IO|__GFP_FS|__GFP_NOWARN|__GFP_NORETRY|__GFP_COMP|__GFP_NOMEMALLOC), pid 2, tgid 2 (kthreadd), ts 71247381401, free_ts 71214998153
   set_page_owner include/linux/page_owner.h:32 [inline]
   post_alloc_hook+0x1f3/0x230 mm/page_alloc.c:1537
   prep_new_page mm/page_alloc.c:1545 [inline]
   get_page_from_freelist+0x3039/0x3180 mm/page_alloc.c:3457
   __alloc_pages_noprof+0x256/0x6c0 mm/page_alloc.c:4733
   alloc_pages_mpol_noprof+0x3e8/0x680 mm/mempolicy.c:2265
   alloc_slab_page+0x6a/0x120 mm/slub.c:2413
   allocate_slab+0x5a/0x2f0 mm/slub.c:2579
   new_slab mm/slub.c:2632 [inline]
   ___slab_alloc+0xcd1/0x14b0 mm/slub.c:3819
   __slab_alloc+0x58/0xa0 mm/slub.c:3909
   __slab_alloc_node mm/slub.c:3962 [inline]
   slab_alloc_node mm/slub.c:4123 [inline]
   kmem_cache_alloc_node_noprof+0x1fe/0x320 mm/slub.c:4187
   alloc_task_struct_node kernel/fork.c:180 [inline]
   dup_task_struct+0x57/0x8c0 kernel/fork.c:1107
   copy_process+0x5d1/0x3d50 kernel/fork.c:2206
   kernel_clone+0x223/0x880 kernel/fork.c:2787
   kernel_thread+0x1bc/0x240 kernel/fork.c:2849
   create_kthread kernel/kthread.c:412 [inline]
   kthreadd+0x60d/0x810 kernel/kthread.c:765
   ret_from_fork+0x4b/0x80 arch/x86/kernel/process.c:147
   ret_from_fork_asm+0x1a/0x30 arch/x86/entry/entry_64.S:244
  page last free pid 5230 tgid 5230 stack trace:
   reset_page_owner include/linux/page_owner.h:25 [inline]
   free_pages_prepare mm/page_alloc.c:1108 [inline]
   free_unref_page+0xcd0/0xf00 mm/page_alloc.c:2638
   discard_slab mm/slub.c:2678 [inline]
   __put_partials+0xeb/0x130 mm/slub.c:3146
   put_cpu_partial+0x17c/0x250 mm/slub.c:3221
   __slab_free+0x2ea/0x3d0 mm/slub.c:4450
   qlink_free mm/kasan/quarantine.c:163 [inline]
   qlist_free_all+0x9a/0x140 mm/kasan/quarantine.c:179
   kasan_quarantine_reduce+0x14f/0x170 mm/kasan/quarantine.c:286
   __kasan_slab_alloc+0x23/0x80 mm/kasan/common.c:329
   kasan_slab_alloc include/linux/kasan.h:247 [inline]
   slab_post_alloc_hook mm/slub.c:4086 [inline]
   slab_alloc_node mm/slub.c:4135 [inline]
   kmem_cache_alloc_noprof+0x135/0x2a0 mm/slub.c:4142
   getname_flags+0xb7/0x540 fs/namei.c:139
   do_sys_openat2+0xd2/0x1d0 fs/open.c:1409
   do_sys_open fs/open.c:1430 [inline]
   __do_sys_openat fs/open.c:1446 [inline]
   __se_sys_openat fs/open.c:1441 [inline]
   __x64_sys_openat+0x247/0x2a0 fs/open.c:1441
   do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/common.c:52 [inline]
   do_syscall_64+0xf3/0x230 arch/x86/entry/common.c:83
   entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x77/0x7f

  Memory state around the buggy address:
   ffff8880272a8900: fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb
   ffff8880272a8980: fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb
  >ffff8880272a8a00: fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb
                              ^
   ffff8880272a8a80: fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb
   ffff8880272a8b00: fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb
  ==================================================================

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-49867 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 5.10.227 with commit 70b60c8d9b42
	Fixed in 5.15.168 with commit 4c98fe0dfa2a
	Fixed in 6.1.113 with commit 9da40aea63f8
	Fixed in 6.6.55 with commit ed87190e9d9c
	Fixed in 6.10.14 with commit bf0de0f9a054
	Fixed in 6.11.3 with commit 65d11eb27683
	Fixed in 6.12-rc2 with commit 41fd1e94066a

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-49867
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	fs/btrfs/disk-io.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/70b60c8d9b42763d6629e44f448aa5d8ae477d61
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/4c98fe0dfa2ae83c4631699695506d8941db4bfe
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/9da40aea63f8769f28afb91aea0fac4cf6fbbb65
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ed87190e9d9c80aad220fb6b0b03a84d22e2c95b
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/bf0de0f9a0544c11f96f93206da04ab87dcea1f4
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/65d11eb276836d49003a8060cf31fa2284ad1047
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/41fd1e94066a815a7ab0a7025359e9b40e4b3576