Subject: CVE-2024-46830: KVM: x86: Acquire kvm->srcu when handling KVM_SET_VCPU_EVENTS

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

KVM: x86: Acquire kvm->srcu when handling KVM_SET_VCPU_EVENTS

Grab kvm->srcu when processing KVM_SET_VCPU_EVENTS, as KVM will forcibly
leave nested VMX/SVM if SMM mode is being toggled, and leaving nested VMX
reads guest memory.

Note, kvm_vcpu_ioctl_x86_set_vcpu_events() can also be called from KVM_RUN
via sync_regs(), which already holds SRCU.  I.e. trying to precisely use
kvm_vcpu_srcu_read_lock() around the problematic SMM code would cause
problems.  Acquiring SRCU isn't all that expensive, so for simplicity,
grab it unconditionally for KVM_SET_VCPU_EVENTS.

 =============================
 WARNING: suspicious RCU usage
 6.10.0-rc7-332d2c1d713e-next-vm #552 Not tainted
 -----------------------------
 include/linux/kvm_host.h:1027 suspicious rcu_dereference_check() usage!

 other info that might help us debug this:

 rcu_scheduler_active = 2, debug_locks = 1
 1 lock held by repro/1071:
  #0: ffff88811e424430 (&vcpu->mutex){+.+.}-{3:3}, at: kvm_vcpu_ioctl+0x7d/0x970 [kvm]

 stack backtrace:
 CPU: 15 PID: 1071 Comm: repro Not tainted 6.10.0-rc7-332d2c1d713e-next-vm #552
 Hardware name: QEMU Standard PC (Q35 + ICH9, 2009), BIOS 0.0.0 02/06/2015
 Call Trace:
  <TASK>
  dump_stack_lvl+0x7f/0x90
  lockdep_rcu_suspicious+0x13f/0x1a0
  kvm_vcpu_gfn_to_memslot+0x168/0x190 [kvm]
  kvm_vcpu_read_guest+0x3e/0x90 [kvm]
  nested_vmx_load_msr+0x6b/0x1d0 [kvm_intel]
  load_vmcs12_host_state+0x432/0xb40 [kvm_intel]
  vmx_leave_nested+0x30/0x40 [kvm_intel]
  kvm_vcpu_ioctl_x86_set_vcpu_events+0x15d/0x2b0 [kvm]
  kvm_arch_vcpu_ioctl+0x1107/0x1750 [kvm]
  ? mark_held_locks+0x49/0x70
  ? kvm_vcpu_ioctl+0x7d/0x970 [kvm]
  ? kvm_vcpu_ioctl+0x497/0x970 [kvm]
  kvm_vcpu_ioctl+0x497/0x970 [kvm]
  ? lock_acquire+0xba/0x2d0
  ? find_held_lock+0x2b/0x80
  ? do_user_addr_fault+0x40c/0x6f0
  ? lock_release+0xb7/0x270
  __x64_sys_ioctl+0x82/0xb0
  do_syscall_64+0x6c/0x170
  entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x4b/0x53
 RIP: 0033:0x7ff11eb1b539
  </TASK>

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-46830 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.17 with commit f7e570780efc and fixed in 6.1.110 with commit fa297c33faef
	Issue introduced in 5.17 with commit f7e570780efc and fixed in 6.6.51 with commit 939375737b5a
	Issue introduced in 5.17 with commit f7e570780efc and fixed in 6.10.10 with commit ecdbe8ac86fb
	Issue introduced in 5.17 with commit f7e570780efc and fixed in 6.11 with commit 4bcdd831d9d0
	Issue introduced in 5.10.97 with commit 080dbe7e9b86
	Issue introduced in 5.15.19 with commit e302786233e6
	Issue introduced in 5.16.5 with commit b4c0d89c92e9

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-46830
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	arch/x86/kvm/x86.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/fa297c33faefe51e10244e8a378837fca4963228
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/939375737b5a0b1bf9b1e75129054e11bc9ca65e
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ecdbe8ac86fb5538ccc623a41f88ec96c7168ab9
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/4bcdd831d9d01e0fb64faea50732b59b2ee88da1