Subject: CVE-2024-45021: memcg_write_event_control(): fix a user-triggerable oops

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

memcg_write_event_control(): fix a user-triggerable oops

we are *not* guaranteed that anything past the terminating NUL
is mapped (let alone initialized with anything sane).

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-45021 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 2.6.34 with commit 0dea116876ee and fixed in 4.19.321 with commit fa5bfdf6cb58
	Issue introduced in 2.6.34 with commit 0dea116876ee and fixed in 5.4.283 with commit 1b37ec85ad95
	Issue introduced in 2.6.34 with commit 0dea116876ee and fixed in 5.10.225 with commit ad149f558534
	Issue introduced in 2.6.34 with commit 0dea116876ee and fixed in 5.15.166 with commit 0fbe2a72e853
	Issue introduced in 2.6.34 with commit 0dea116876ee and fixed in 6.1.107 with commit 43768fa80fd1
	Issue introduced in 2.6.34 with commit 0dea116876ee and fixed in 6.6.48 with commit f1aa7c509aa7
	Issue introduced in 2.6.34 with commit 0dea116876ee and fixed in 6.10.7 with commit 21b578f1d599
	Issue introduced in 2.6.34 with commit 0dea116876ee and fixed in 6.11 with commit 046667c4d319

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-45021
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	mm/memcontrol-v1.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/fa5bfdf6cb5846a00e712d630a43e3cf55ccb411
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/1b37ec85ad95b612307627758c6018cd9d92cca8
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ad149f5585345e383baa65f1539d816cd715fd3b
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/0fbe2a72e853a1052abe9bc2b7df8ddb102da227
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/43768fa80fd192558737e24ed6548f74554611d7
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f1aa7c509aa766080db7ab3aec2e31b1df09e57c
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/21b578f1d599edb87462f11113c5b0fc7a04ac61
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/046667c4d3196938e992fba0dfcde570aa85cd0e