Subject: CVE-2024-45005: KVM: s390: fix validity interception issue when gisa is switched off

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

KVM: s390: fix validity interception issue when gisa is switched off

We might run into a SIE validity if gisa has been disabled either via using
kernel parameter "kvm.use_gisa=0" or by setting the related sysfs
attribute to N (echo N >/sys/module/kvm/parameters/use_gisa).

The validity is caused by an invalid value in the SIE control block's
gisa designation. That happens because we pass the uninitialized gisa
origin to virt_to_phys() before writing it to the gisa designation.

To fix this we return 0 in kvm_s390_get_gisa_desc() if the origin is 0.
kvm_s390_get_gisa_desc() is used to determine which gisa designation to
set in the SIE control block. A value of 0 in the gisa designation disables
gisa usage.

The issue surfaces in the host kernel with the following kernel message as
soon a new kvm guest start is attemted.

kvm: unhandled validity intercept 0x1011
WARNING: CPU: 0 PID: 781237 at arch/s390/kvm/intercept.c:101 kvm_handle_sie_intercept+0x42e/0x4d0 [kvm]
Modules linked in: vhost_net tap tun xt_CHECKSUM xt_MASQUERADE xt_conntrack ipt_REJECT xt_tcpudp nft_compat x_tables nf_nat_tftp nf_conntrack_tftp vfio_pci_core irqbypass vhost_vsock vmw_vsock_virtio_transport_common vsock vhost vhost_iotlb kvm nft_fib_inet nft_fib_ipv4 nft_fib_ipv6 nft_fib nft_reject_inet nf_reject_ipv4 nf_reject_ipv6 nft_reject nft_ct nft_chain_nat nf_nat nf_conntrack nf_defrag_ipv6 nf_defrag_ipv4 ip_set nf_tables sunrpc mlx5_ib ib_uverbs ib_core mlx5_core uvdevice s390_trng eadm_sch vfio_ccw zcrypt_cex4 mdev vfio_iommu_type1 vfio sch_fq_codel drm i2c_core loop drm_panel_orientation_quirks configfs nfnetlink lcs ctcm fsm dm_service_time ghash_s390 prng chacha_s390 libchacha aes_s390 des_s390 libdes sha3_512_s390 sha3_256_s390 sha512_s390 sha256_s390 sha1_s390 sha_common dm_mirror dm_region_hash dm_log zfcp scsi_transport_fc scsi_dh_rdac scsi_dh_emc scsi_dh_alua pkey zcrypt dm_multipath rng_core autofs4 [last unloaded: vfio_pci]
CPU: 0 PID: 781237 Comm: CPU 0/KVM Not tainted 6.10.0-08682-gcad9f11498ea #6
Hardware name: IBM 3931 A01 701 (LPAR)
Krnl PSW : 0704c00180000000 000003d93deb0122 (kvm_handle_sie_intercept+0x432/0x4d0 [kvm])
           R:0 T:1 IO:1 EX:1 Key:0 M:1 W:0 P:0 AS:3 CC:0 PM:0 RI:0 EA:3
Krnl GPRS: 000003d900000027 000003d900000023 0000000000000028 000002cd00000000
           000002d063a00900 00000359c6daf708 00000000000bebb5 0000000000001eff
           000002cfd82e9000 000002cfd80bc000 0000000000001011 000003d93deda412
           000003ff8962df98 000003d93de77ce0 000003d93deb011e 00000359c6daf960
Krnl Code: 000003d93deb0112: c020fffe7259	larl	%r2,000003d93de7e5c4
           000003d93deb0118: c0e53fa8beac	brasl	%r14,000003d9bd3c7e70
          #000003d93deb011e: af000000		mc	0,0
          >000003d93deb0122: a728ffea		lhi	%r2,-22
           000003d93deb0126: a7f4fe24		brc	15,000003d93deafd6e
           000003d93deb012a: 9101f0b0		tm	176(%r15),1
           000003d93deb012e: a774fe48		brc	7,000003d93deafdbe
           000003d93deb0132: 40a0f0ae		sth	%r10,174(%r15)
Call Trace:
 [<000003d93deb0122>] kvm_handle_sie_intercept+0x432/0x4d0 [kvm]
([<000003d93deb011e>] kvm_handle_sie_intercept+0x42e/0x4d0 [kvm])
 [<000003d93deacc10>] vcpu_post_run+0x1d0/0x3b0 [kvm]
 [<000003d93deaceda>] __vcpu_run+0xea/0x2d0 [kvm]
 [<000003d93dead9da>] kvm_arch_vcpu_ioctl_run+0x16a/0x430 [kvm]
 [<000003d93de93ee0>] kvm_vcpu_ioctl+0x190/0x7c0 [kvm]
 [<000003d9bd728b4e>] vfs_ioctl+0x2e/0x70
 [<000003d9bd72a092>] __s390x_sys_ioctl+0xc2/0xd0
 [<000003d9be0e9222>] __do_syscall+0x1f2/0x2e0
 [<000003d9be0f9a90>] system_call+0x70/0x98
Last Breaking-Event-Address:
 [<000003d9bd3c7f58>] __warn_printk+0xe8/0xf0

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-45005 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.2 with commit fe0ef0030463 and fixed in 6.6.48 with commit 051c0a558154
	Issue introduced in 6.2 with commit fe0ef0030463 and fixed in 6.10.7 with commit 027ac3c50925
	Issue introduced in 6.2 with commit fe0ef0030463 and fixed in 6.11 with commit 5a44bb061d04

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-45005
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	arch/s390/kvm/kvm-s390.h

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/051c0a558154174cfcea301a386e4c91ade83ce1
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/027ac3c5092561bccce09b314a73a1c167117ef6
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/5a44bb061d04b0306f2aa8add761d86d152b9377