Subject: CVE-2024-42312: sysctl: always initialize i_uid/i_gid

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

sysctl: always initialize i_uid/i_gid

Always initialize i_uid/i_gid inside the sysfs core so set_ownership()
can safely skip setting them.

Commit 5ec27ec735ba ("fs/proc/proc_sysctl.c: fix the default values of
i_uid/i_gid on /proc/sys inodes.") added defaults for i_uid/i_gid when
set_ownership() was not implemented. It also missed adjusting
net_ctl_set_ownership() to use the same default values in case the
computation of a better value failed.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-42312 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.3 with commit 5ec27ec735ba and fixed in 5.10.224 with commit b2591c89a6e2
	Issue introduced in 5.3 with commit 5ec27ec735ba and fixed in 5.15.165 with commit 34a86adea1f2
	Issue introduced in 5.3 with commit 5ec27ec735ba and fixed in 6.1.104 with commit 1deae34db9f4
	Issue introduced in 5.3 with commit 5ec27ec735ba and fixed in 6.6.45 with commit ffde3af4b29b
	Issue introduced in 5.3 with commit 5ec27ec735ba and fixed in 6.10.3 with commit c7e2f43d182f
	Issue introduced in 5.3 with commit 5ec27ec735ba and fixed in 6.11 with commit 98ca62ba9e2b
	Issue introduced in 4.9.187 with commit e83234d7ef23
	Issue introduced in 4.14.135 with commit 2cbf2af144f0
	Issue introduced in 4.19.61 with commit 2c7b50c7b1d0
	Issue introduced in 5.1.20 with commit 7eb45a94c279
	Issue introduced in 5.2.3 with commit 14cc90952cef

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-42312
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	fs/proc/proc_sysctl.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b2591c89a6e2858796111138c38fcb6851aa1955
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/34a86adea1f2b3c3f9d864c8cce09dca644601ab
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/1deae34db9f4f8e0e03f891be2e2e15c15c8ac05
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ffde3af4b29bf97d62d82e1d45275587e10a991a
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/c7e2f43d182f5dde473389dbb39f16c9f0d64536
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/98ca62ba9e2be5863c7d069f84f7166b45a5b2f4