Subject: CVE-2024-42236: usb: gadget: configfs: Prevent OOB read/write in usb_string_copy()

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

usb: gadget: configfs: Prevent OOB read/write in usb_string_copy()

Userspace provided string 's' could trivially have the length zero. Left
unchecked this will firstly result in an OOB read in the form
`if (str[0 - 1] == '\n') followed closely by an OOB write in the form
`str[0 - 1] = '\0'`.

There is already a validating check to catch strings that are too long.
Let's supply an additional check for invalid strings that are too short.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-42236 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 4.19.318 with commit a444c3fc2641
	Fixed in 5.4.280 with commit c95fbdde87e3
	Fixed in 5.10.222 with commit e8474a10c535
	Fixed in 5.15.163 with commit 72b8ee0d9826
	Fixed in 6.1.100 with commit 2d16f63d8030
	Fixed in 6.6.41 with commit d1205033e912
	Fixed in 6.9.10 with commit eecfefad0953
	Fixed in 6.10 with commit 6d3c721e686e

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-42236
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/usb/gadget/configfs.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/a444c3fc264119801575ab086e03fb4952f23fd0
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/c95fbdde87e39e5e0ae27f28bf6711edfb985caa
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/e8474a10c535e6a2024c3b06e37e4a3a23beb490
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/72b8ee0d9826e8ed00e0bdfce3e46b98419b37ce
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/2d16f63d8030903e5031853e79d731ee5d474e70
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/d1205033e912f9332c1dbefa812e6ceb0575ce0a
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/eecfefad0953b2f31aaefa058f7f348ff39c4bba
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/6d3c721e686ea6c59e18289b400cc95c76e927e0