Subject: CVE-2024-41023: sched/deadline: Fix task_struct reference leak

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

sched/deadline: Fix task_struct reference leak

During the execution of the following stress test with linux-rt:

stress-ng --cyclic 30 --timeout 30 --minimize --quiet

kmemleak frequently reported a memory leak concerning the task_struct:

unreferenced object 0xffff8881305b8000 (size 16136):
  comm "stress-ng", pid 614, jiffies 4294883961 (age 286.412s)
  object hex dump (first 32 bytes):
    02 40 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  .@..............
    00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ................
  debug hex dump (first 16 bytes):
    53 09 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  S...............
  backtrace:
    [<00000000046b6790>] dup_task_struct+0x30/0x540
    [<00000000c5ca0f0b>] copy_process+0x3d9/0x50e0
    [<00000000ced59777>] kernel_clone+0xb0/0x770
    [<00000000a50befdc>] __do_sys_clone+0xb6/0xf0
    [<000000001dbf2008>] do_syscall_64+0x5d/0xf0
    [<00000000552900ff>] entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x6e/0x76

The issue occurs in start_dl_timer(), which increments the task_struct
reference count and sets a timer. The timer callback, dl_task_timer,
is supposed to decrement the reference count upon expiration. However,
if enqueue_task_dl() is called before the timer expires and cancels it,
the reference count is not decremented, leading to the leak.

This patch fixes the reference leak by ensuring the task_struct
reference count is properly decremented when the timer is canceled.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-41023 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.10 with commit feff2e65efd8 and fixed in 6.9.10 with commit 7a54d31face6
	Issue introduced in 5.10 with commit feff2e65efd8 and fixed in 6.10 with commit b58652db66c9
	Issue introduced in 4.19.257 with commit f0e1c1d8ff90
	Issue introduced in 5.4.212 with commit 184c8ab53424

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-41023
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	kernel/sched/deadline.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/7a54d31face626f62de415ebe77b43f76c3ffaf4
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b58652db66c910c2245f5bee7deca41c12d707b9