Subject: CVE-2024-40941: wifi: iwlwifi: mvm: don't read past the mfuart notifcation

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

wifi: iwlwifi: mvm: don't read past the mfuart notifcation

In case the firmware sends a notification that claims it has more data
than it has, we will read past that was allocated for the notification.
Remove the print of the buffer, we won't see it by default. If needed,
we can see the content with tracing.

This was reported by KFENCE.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-40941 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 4.12 with commit bdccdb854f2f and fixed in 4.19.317 with commit 15b37c6fab9d
	Issue introduced in 4.12 with commit bdccdb854f2f and fixed in 5.4.279 with commit 6532f18e66b3
	Issue introduced in 4.12 with commit bdccdb854f2f and fixed in 5.10.221 with commit 46c59a253370
	Issue introduced in 4.12 with commit bdccdb854f2f and fixed in 5.15.162 with commit 65686118845d
	Issue introduced in 4.12 with commit bdccdb854f2f and fixed in 6.1.95 with commit a8bc8276af9a
	Issue introduced in 4.12 with commit bdccdb854f2f and fixed in 6.6.35 with commit a05018739a5e
	Issue introduced in 4.12 with commit bdccdb854f2f and fixed in 6.9.6 with commit acdfa33c3cf5
	Issue introduced in 4.12 with commit bdccdb854f2f and fixed in 6.10 with commit 4bb95f453548

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-40941
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/net/wireless/intel/iwlwifi/mvm/fw.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/15b37c6fab9d5e40ac399fa1c725118588ed649c
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/6532f18e66b384b8d4b7e5c9caca042faaa9e8de
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/46c59a25337049a2a230ce7f7c3b9f21d0aaaad7
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/65686118845d427df27ee83a6ddd4885596b0805
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/a8bc8276af9aeacabb773f0c267cfcdb847c6f2d
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/a05018739a5e6b9dc112c95bd4c59904062c8940
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/acdfa33c3cf5e1cd185cc1e0486bd0ea9f09c154
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/4bb95f4535489ed830cf9b34b0a891e384d1aee4