Subject: CVE-2024-39488: arm64: asm-bug: Add .align 2 to the end of __BUG_ENTRY

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

arm64: asm-bug: Add .align 2 to the end of __BUG_ENTRY

When CONFIG_DEBUG_BUGVERBOSE=n, we fail to add necessary padding bytes
to bug_table entries, and as a result the last entry in a bug table will
be ignored, potentially leading to an unexpected panic(). All prior
entries in the table will be handled correctly.

The arm64 ABI requires that struct fields of up to 8 bytes are
naturally-aligned, with padding added within a struct such that struct
are suitably aligned within arrays.

When CONFIG_DEBUG_BUGVERPOSE=y, the layout of a bug_entry is:

	struct bug_entry {
		signed int      bug_addr_disp;	// 4 bytes
		signed int      file_disp;	// 4 bytes
		unsigned short  line;		// 2 bytes
		unsigned short  flags;		// 2 bytes
	}

... with 12 bytes total, requiring 4-byte alignment.

When CONFIG_DEBUG_BUGVERBOSE=n, the layout of a bug_entry is:

	struct bug_entry {
		signed int      bug_addr_disp;	// 4 bytes
		unsigned short  flags;		// 2 bytes
		< implicit padding >		// 2 bytes
	}

... with 8 bytes total, with 6 bytes of data and 2 bytes of trailing
padding, requiring 4-byte alginment.

When we create a bug_entry in assembly, we align the start of the entry
to 4 bytes, which implicitly handles padding for any prior entries.
However, we do not align the end of the entry, and so when
CONFIG_DEBUG_BUGVERBOSE=n, the final entry lacks the trailing padding
bytes.

For the main kernel image this is not a problem as find_bug() doesn't
depend on the trailing padding bytes when searching for entries:

	for (bug = __start___bug_table; bug < __stop___bug_table; ++bug)
		if (bugaddr == bug_addr(bug))
			return bug;

However for modules, module_bug_finalize() depends on the trailing
bytes when calculating the number of entries:

	mod->num_bugs = sechdrs[i].sh_size / sizeof(struct bug_entry);

... and as the last bug_entry lacks the necessary padding bytes, this entry
will not be counted, e.g. in the case of a single entry:

	sechdrs[i].sh_size == 6
	sizeof(struct bug_entry) == 8;

	sechdrs[i].sh_size / sizeof(struct bug_entry) == 0;

Consequently module_find_bug() will miss the last bug_entry when it does:

	for (i = 0; i < mod->num_bugs; ++i, ++bug)
		if (bugaddr == bug_addr(bug))
			goto out;

... which can lead to a kenrel panic due to an unhandled bug.

This can be demonstrated with the following module:

	static int __init buginit(void)
	{
		WARN(1, "hello\n");
		return 0;
	}

	static void __exit bugexit(void)
	{
	}

	module_init(buginit);
	module_exit(bugexit);
	MODULE_LICENSE("GPL");

... which will trigger a kernel panic when loaded:

	------------[ cut here ]------------
	hello
	Unexpected kernel BRK exception at EL1
	Internal error: BRK handler: 00000000f2000800 [#1] PREEMPT SMP
	Modules linked in: hello(O+)
	CPU: 0 PID: 50 Comm: insmod Tainted: G           O       6.9.1 #8
	Hardware name: linux,dummy-virt (DT)
	pstate: 60400005 (nZCv daif +PAN -UAO -TCO -DIT -SSBS BTYPE=--)
	pc : buginit+0x18/0x1000 [hello]
	lr : buginit+0x18/0x1000 [hello]
	sp : ffff800080533ae0
	x29: ffff800080533ae0 x28: 0000000000000000 x27: 0000000000000000
	x26: ffffaba8c4e70510 x25: ffff800080533c30 x24: ffffaba8c4a28a58
	x23: 0000000000000000 x22: 0000000000000000 x21: ffff3947c0eab3c0
	x20: ffffaba8c4e3f000 x19: ffffaba846464000 x18: 0000000000000006
	x17: 0000000000000000 x16: ffffaba8c2492834 x15: 0720072007200720
	x14: 0720072007200720 x13: ffffaba8c49b27c8 x12: 0000000000000312
	x11: 0000000000000106 x10: ffffaba8c4a0a7c8 x9 : ffffaba8c49b27c8
	x8 : 00000000ffffefff x7 : ffffaba8c4a0a7c8 x6 : 80000000fffff000
	x5 : 0000000000000107 x4 : 0000000000000000 x3 : 0000000000000000
	x2 : 0000000000000000 x1 : 0000000000000000 x0 : ffff3947c0eab3c0
	Call trace:
	 buginit+0x18/0x1000 [hello]
	 do_one_initcall+0x80/0x1c8
	 do_init_module+0x60/0x218
	 load_module+0x1ba4/0x1d70
	 __do_sys_init_module+0x198/0x1d0
	 __arm64_sys_init_module+0x1c/0x28
	 invoke_syscall+0x48/0x114
	 el0_svc_common.constprop.0+0x40/0xe0
	 do_el0_svc+0x1c/0x28
	 el0_svc+0x34/0xd8
	 el0t_64_sync_handler+0x120/0x12c
	 el0t_64_sync+0x190/0x194
	Code: d0ffffe0 910003fd 91000000 9400000b (d4210000)
	---[ end trace 0000000000000000 ]---
	Kernel panic - not syncing: BRK handler: Fatal exception

Fix this by always aligning the end of a bug_entry to 4 bytes, which is
correct regardless of CONFIG_DEBUG_BUGVERBOSE.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-39488 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 4.3 with commit 9fb7410f955f and fixed in 4.19.316 with commit f221bd58db0f
	Issue introduced in 4.3 with commit 9fb7410f955f and fixed in 5.4.278 with commit 22469a0335a1
	Issue introduced in 4.3 with commit 9fb7410f955f and fixed in 5.10.219 with commit 461a760d578b
	Issue introduced in 4.3 with commit 9fb7410f955f and fixed in 5.15.161 with commit c1929c041a26
	Issue introduced in 4.3 with commit 9fb7410f955f and fixed in 6.1.93 with commit 3fd487ffaa69
	Issue introduced in 4.3 with commit 9fb7410f955f and fixed in 6.6.33 with commit 9f2ad88f9b34
	Issue introduced in 4.3 with commit 9fb7410f955f and fixed in 6.9.4 with commit c27a2f7668e2
	Issue introduced in 4.3 with commit 9fb7410f955f and fixed in 6.10 with commit ffbf4fb9b5c1

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-39488
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	arch/arm64/include/asm/asm-bug.h

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f221bd58db0f6ca087ac0392284f6bce21f4f8ea
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/22469a0335a1a1a690349b58bcb55822457df81e
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/461a760d578b2b2c2faac3040b6b7c77baf128f8
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/c1929c041a262a4a27265db8dce3619c92aa678c
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/3fd487ffaa697ddb05af78a75aaaddabe71c52b0
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/9f2ad88f9b349554f64e4037ec185c84d7dd9c7d
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/c27a2f7668e215c1ebbccd96fab27a220a93f1f7
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ffbf4fb9b5c12ff878a10ea17997147ea4ebea6f