Subject: CVE-2024-49954: static_call: Replace pointless WARN_ON() in static_call_module_notify()

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

static_call: Replace pointless WARN_ON() in static_call_module_notify()

static_call_module_notify() triggers a WARN_ON(), when memory allocation
fails in __static_call_add_module().

That's not really justified, because the failure case must be correctly
handled by the well known call chain and the error code is passed
through to the initiating userspace application.

A memory allocation fail is not a fatal problem, but the WARN_ON() takes
the machine out when panic_on_warn is set.

Replace it with a pr_warn().

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-49954 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.10 with commit 9183c3f9ed71 and fixed in 5.15.168 with commit bc9356513d56
	Issue introduced in 5.10 with commit 9183c3f9ed71 and fixed in 6.1.113 with commit ea2cdf4da093
	Issue introduced in 5.10 with commit 9183c3f9ed71 and fixed in 6.6.55 with commit e67534bd31d7
	Issue introduced in 5.10 with commit 9183c3f9ed71 and fixed in 6.10.14 with commit 85a104aaef1f
	Issue introduced in 5.10 with commit 9183c3f9ed71 and fixed in 6.11.3 with commit b83bef74c121
	Issue introduced in 5.10 with commit 9183c3f9ed71 and fixed in 6.12-rc1 with commit fe513c2ef0a1

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-49954
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	kernel/static_call_inline.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/bc9356513d56b688775497b7ac6f2b967f46a80c
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ea2cdf4da093d0482f0ef36ba971e2e0c7673425
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/e67534bd31d79952b50e791e92adf0b3e6c13b8c
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/85a104aaef1f56623acc10ba4c42d5f046ba65b7
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b83bef74c121a3311240fc4002d23486b85355e4
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/fe513c2ef0a172a58f158e2e70465c4317f0a9a2