Subject: CVE-2024-49873: mm/filemap: fix filemap_get_folios_contig THP panic

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

mm/filemap: fix filemap_get_folios_contig THP panic

Patch series "memfd-pin huge page fixes".

Fix multiple bugs that occur when using memfd_pin_folios with hugetlb
pages and THP.  The hugetlb bugs only bite when the page is not yet
faulted in when memfd_pin_folios is called.  The THP bug bites when the
starting offset passed to memfd_pin_folios is not huge page aligned.  See
the commit messages for details.

This patch (of 5):

memfd_pin_folios on memory backed by THP panics if the requested start
offset is not huge page aligned:

BUG: kernel NULL pointer dereference, address: 0000000000000036
RIP: 0010:filemap_get_folios_contig+0xdf/0x290
RSP: 0018:ffffc9002092fbe8 EFLAGS: 00010202
RAX: 0000000000000002 RBX: 0000000000000002 RCX: 0000000000000002

The fault occurs here, because xas_load returns a folio with value 2:

    filemap_get_folios_contig()
        for (folio = xas_load(&xas); folio && xas.xa_index <= end;
                        folio = xas_next(&xas)) {
                ...
                if (!folio_try_get(folio))   <-- BOOM

"2" is an xarray sibling entry.  We get it because memfd_pin_folios does
not round the indices passed to filemap_get_folios_contig to huge page
boundaries for THP, so we load from the middle of a huge page range see a
sibling.  (It does round for hugetlbfs, at the is_file_hugepages test).

To fix, if the folio is a sibling, then return the next index as the
starting point for the next call to filemap_get_folios_contig.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-49873 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.11 with commit 89c1905d9c14 and fixed in 6.11.3 with commit 570dd14bfecf
	Issue introduced in 6.11 with commit 89c1905d9c14 and fixed in 6.12-rc1 with commit c225c4f6056b

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-49873
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	mm/filemap.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/570dd14bfecf281fa467c80f8ec92b26370ee36a
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/c225c4f6056b46a8a5bf2ed35abf17a2d6887691