Subject: CVE-2024-47736: erofs: handle overlapped pclusters out of crafted images properly

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

erofs: handle overlapped pclusters out of crafted images properly

syzbot reported a task hang issue due to a deadlock case where it is
waiting for the folio lock of a cached folio that will be used for
cache I/Os.

After looking into the crafted fuzzed image, I found it's formed with
several overlapped big pclusters as below:

 Ext:   logical offset   |  length :     physical offset    |  length
   0:        0..   16384 |   16384 :     151552..    167936 |   16384
   1:    16384..   32768 |   16384 :     155648..    172032 |   16384
   2:    32768..   49152 |   16384 :  537223168.. 537239552 |   16384
...

Here, extent 0/1 are physically overlapped although it's entirely
_impossible_ for normal filesystem images generated by mkfs.

First, managed folios containing compressed data will be marked as
up-to-date and then unlocked immediately (unlike in-place folios) when
compressed I/Os are complete.  If physical blocks are not submitted in
the incremental order, there should be separate BIOs to avoid dependency
issues.  However, the current code mis-arranges z_erofs_fill_bio_vec()
and BIO submission which causes unexpected BIO waits.

Second, managed folios will be connected to their own pclusters for
efficient inter-queries.  However, this is somewhat hard to implement
easily if overlapped big pclusters exist.  Again, these only appear in
fuzzed images so let's simply fall back to temporary short-lived pages
for correctness.

Additionally, it justifies that referenced managed folios cannot be
truncated for now and reverts part of commit 2080ca1ed3e4 ("erofs: tidy
up `struct z_erofs_bvec`") for simplicity although it shouldn't be any
difference.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-47736 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.13 with commit 8e6c8fa9f2e9 and fixed in 6.10.13 with commit b9b30af0e86f
	Issue introduced in 5.13 with commit 8e6c8fa9f2e9 and fixed in 6.11.2 with commit 9cfa199bcbbb
	Issue introduced in 5.13 with commit 8e6c8fa9f2e9 and fixed in 6.12-rc1 with commit 9e2f9d34dd12

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-47736
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	fs/erofs/zdata.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b9b30af0e86ffb485301ecd83b9129c9dfb7ebf8
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/9cfa199bcbbbba31cbf97b2786f44f4464f3f29a
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/9e2f9d34dd12e6e5b244ec488bcebd0c2d566c50