Subject: CVE-2024-42139: ice: Fix improper extts handling

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

ice: Fix improper extts handling

Extts events are disabled and enabled by the application ts2phc.
However, in case where the driver is removed when the application is
running, a specific extts event remains enabled and can cause a kernel
crash.
As a side effect, when the driver is reloaded and application is started
again, remaining extts event for the channel from a previous run will
keep firing and the message "extts on unexpected channel" might be
printed to the user.

To avoid that, extts events shall be disabled when PTP is released.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-42139 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.14 with commit 172db5f91d5f and fixed in 6.9.9 with commit 9f69b31ae9e2
	Issue introduced in 5.14 with commit 172db5f91d5f and fixed in 6.10 with commit 00d3b4f54582

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-42139
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ice/ice_ptp.c
	drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ice/ice_ptp.h

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/9f69b31ae9e25dec27ad31fbc64dd99af16ee3d3
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/00d3b4f54582d4e4a02cda5886bb336eeab268cc