Subject: CVE-2024-42071: ionic: use dev_consume_skb_any outside of napi

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

ionic: use dev_consume_skb_any outside of napi

If we're not in a NAPI softirq context, we need to be careful
about how we call napi_consume_skb(), specifically we need to
call it with budget==0 to signal to it that we're not in a
safe context.

This was found while running some configuration stress testing
of traffic and a change queue config loop running, and this
curious note popped out:

[ 4371.402645] BUG: using smp_processor_id() in preemptible [00000000] code: ethtool/20545
[ 4371.402897] caller is napi_skb_cache_put+0x16/0x80
[ 4371.403120] CPU: 25 PID: 20545 Comm: ethtool Kdump: loaded Tainted: G           OE      6.10.0-rc3-netnext+ #8
[ 4371.403302] Hardware name: HPE ProLiant DL360 Gen10/ProLiant DL360 Gen10, BIOS U32 01/23/2021
[ 4371.403460] Call Trace:
[ 4371.403613]  <TASK>
[ 4371.403758]  dump_stack_lvl+0x4f/0x70
[ 4371.403904]  check_preemption_disabled+0xc1/0xe0
[ 4371.404051]  napi_skb_cache_put+0x16/0x80
[ 4371.404199]  ionic_tx_clean+0x18a/0x240 [ionic]
[ 4371.404354]  ionic_tx_cq_service+0xc4/0x200 [ionic]
[ 4371.404505]  ionic_tx_flush+0x15/0x70 [ionic]
[ 4371.404653]  ? ionic_lif_qcq_deinit.isra.23+0x5b/0x70 [ionic]
[ 4371.404805]  ionic_txrx_deinit+0x71/0x190 [ionic]
[ 4371.404956]  ionic_reconfigure_queues+0x5f5/0xff0 [ionic]
[ 4371.405111]  ionic_set_ringparam+0x2e8/0x3e0 [ionic]
[ 4371.405265]  ethnl_set_rings+0x1f1/0x300
[ 4371.405418]  ethnl_default_set_doit+0xbb/0x160
[ 4371.405571]  genl_family_rcv_msg_doit+0xff/0x130
	[...]

I found that ionic_tx_clean() calls napi_consume_skb() which calls
napi_skb_cache_put(), but before that last call is the note
    /* Zero budget indicate non-NAPI context called us, like netpoll */
and
    DEBUG_NET_WARN_ON_ONCE(!in_softirq());

Those are pretty big hints that we're doing it wrong.  We can pass a
context hint down through the calls to let ionic_tx_clean() know what
we're doing so it can call napi_consume_skb() correctly.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-42071 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.9 with commit 386e69865311 and fixed in 6.9.8 with commit ef7646ed49ff
	Issue introduced in 6.9 with commit 386e69865311 and fixed in 6.10 with commit 84b767f9e34f

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-42071
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/net/ethernet/pensando/ionic/ionic_dev.h
	drivers/net/ethernet/pensando/ionic/ionic_lif.c
	drivers/net/ethernet/pensando/ionic/ionic_txrx.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ef7646ed49fff962e97b276f4ab91327a67eeb5a
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/84b767f9e34fdb143c09e66a2a20722fc2921821