Subject: CVE-2024-41048: skmsg: Skip zero length skb in sk_msg_recvmsg

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

skmsg: Skip zero length skb in sk_msg_recvmsg

When running BPF selftests (./test_progs -t sockmap_basic) on a Loongarch
platform, the following kernel panic occurs:

  [...]
  Oops[#1]:
  CPU: 22 PID: 2824 Comm: test_progs Tainted: G           OE  6.10.0-rc2+ #18
  Hardware name: LOONGSON Dabieshan/Loongson-TC542F0, BIOS Loongson-UDK2018
     ... ...
     ra: 90000000048bf6c0 sk_msg_recvmsg+0x120/0x560
    ERA: 9000000004162774 copy_page_to_iter+0x74/0x1c0
   CRMD: 000000b0 (PLV0 -IE -DA +PG DACF=CC DACM=CC -WE)
   PRMD: 0000000c (PPLV0 +PIE +PWE)
   EUEN: 00000007 (+FPE +SXE +ASXE -BTE)
   ECFG: 00071c1d (LIE=0,2-4,10-12 VS=7)
  ESTAT: 00010000 [PIL] (IS= ECode=1 EsubCode=0)
   BADV: 0000000000000040
   PRID: 0014c011 (Loongson-64bit, Loongson-3C5000)
  Modules linked in: bpf_testmod(OE) xt_CHECKSUM xt_MASQUERADE xt_conntrack
  Process test_progs (pid: 2824, threadinfo=0000000000863a31, task=...)
  Stack : ...
  Call Trace:
  [<9000000004162774>] copy_page_to_iter+0x74/0x1c0
  [<90000000048bf6c0>] sk_msg_recvmsg+0x120/0x560
  [<90000000049f2b90>] tcp_bpf_recvmsg_parser+0x170/0x4e0
  [<90000000049aae34>] inet_recvmsg+0x54/0x100
  [<900000000481ad5c>] sock_recvmsg+0x7c/0xe0
  [<900000000481e1a8>] __sys_recvfrom+0x108/0x1c0
  [<900000000481e27c>] sys_recvfrom+0x1c/0x40
  [<9000000004c076ec>] do_syscall+0x8c/0xc0
  [<9000000003731da4>] handle_syscall+0xc4/0x160
  Code: ...
  ---[ end trace 0000000000000000 ]---
  Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception
  Kernel relocated by 0x3510000
   .text @ 0x9000000003710000
   .data @ 0x9000000004d70000
   .bss  @ 0x9000000006469400
  ---[ end Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception ]---
  [...]

This crash happens every time when running sockmap_skb_verdict_shutdown
subtest in sockmap_basic.

This crash is because a NULL pointer is passed to page_address() in the
sk_msg_recvmsg(). Due to the different implementations depending on the
architecture, page_address(NULL) will trigger a panic on Loongarch
platform but not on x86 platform. So this bug was hidden on x86 platform
for a while, but now it is exposed on Loongarch platform. The root cause
is that a zero length skb (skb->len == 0) was put on the queue.

This zero length skb is a TCP FIN packet, which was sent by shutdown(),
invoked in test_sockmap_skb_verdict_shutdown():

	shutdown(p1, SHUT_WR);

In this case, in sk_psock_skb_ingress_enqueue(), num_sge is zero, and no
page is put to this sge (see sg_set_page in sg_set_page), but this empty
sge is queued into ingress_msg list.

And in sk_msg_recvmsg(), this empty sge is used, and a NULL page is got by
sg_page(sge). Pass this NULL page to copy_page_to_iter(), which passes it
to kmap_local_page() and to page_address(), then kernel panics.

To solve this, we should skip this zero length skb. So in sk_msg_recvmsg(),
if copy is zero, that means it's a zero length skb, skip invoking
copy_page_to_iter(). We are using the EFAULT return triggered by
copy_page_to_iter to check for is_fin in tcp_bpf.c.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-41048 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 4.20 with commit 604326b41a6f and fixed in 5.15.163 with commit 195b7bcdfc5a
	Issue introduced in 4.20 with commit 604326b41a6f and fixed in 6.1.100 with commit fb61d7b9fb6e
	Issue introduced in 4.20 with commit 604326b41a6f and fixed in 6.6.41 with commit b180739b45a3
	Issue introduced in 4.20 with commit 604326b41a6f and fixed in 6.9.10 with commit f8bd689f37f4
	Issue introduced in 4.20 with commit 604326b41a6f and fixed in 6.10 with commit f0c180256937

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-41048
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	net/core/skmsg.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/195b7bcdfc5adc5b2468f279dd9eb7eebd2e7632
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/fb61d7b9fb6ef0032de469499a54dab4c7260d0d
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b180739b45a38b4caa88fe16bb5273072e6613dc
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f8bd689f37f4198a4c61c4684f591ba639595b97
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f0c18025693707ec344a70b6887f7450bf4c826b