Subject: CVE-2024-40967: serial: imx: Introduce timeout when waiting on transmitter empty

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

serial: imx: Introduce timeout when waiting on transmitter empty

By waiting at most 1 second for USR2_TXDC to be set, we avoid a potential
deadlock.

In case of the timeout, there is not much we can do, so we simply ignore
the transmitter state and optimistically try to continue.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-40967 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 5.15.162 with commit 7f2b9ab6d0b2
	Fixed in 6.1.96 with commit 7f9e70c68b7a
	Fixed in 6.6.36 with commit 982ae3376c4c
	Fixed in 6.9.7 with commit 53b2c9554742
	Fixed in 6.10 with commit e533e4c62e99

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-40967
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/tty/serial/imx.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/7f2b9ab6d0b26f16cd38dd9fd91d51899635f7c7
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/7f9e70c68b7ace0141fe3bc94bf7b61296b71916
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/982ae3376c4c91590d38dc8a676c10f7df048a44
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/53b2c95547427c358f45515a9f144efee95e3701
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/e533e4c62e9993e62e947ae9bbec34e4c7ae81c2