Subject: CVE-2024-40950: mm: huge_memory: fix misused mapping_large_folio_support() for anon folios

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

mm: huge_memory: fix misused mapping_large_folio_support() for anon folios

When I did a large folios split test, a WARNING "[ 5059.122759][ T166]
Cannot split file folio to non-0 order" was triggered.  But the test cases
are only for anonmous folios.  while mapping_large_folio_support() is only
reasonable for page cache folios.

In split_huge_page_to_list_to_order(), the folio passed to
mapping_large_folio_support() maybe anonmous folio.  The folio_test_anon()
check is missing.  So the split of the anonmous THP is failed.  This is
also the same for shmem_mapping().  We'd better add a check for both.  But
the shmem_mapping() in __split_huge_page() is not involved, as for
anonmous folios, the end parameter is set to -1, so (head[i].index >= end)
is always false.  shmem_mapping() is not called.

Also add a VM_WARN_ON_ONCE() in mapping_large_folio_support() for anon
mapping, So we can detect the wrong use more easily.

THP folios maybe exist in the pagecache even the file system doesn't
support large folio, it is because when CONFIG_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE is
enabled, khugepaged will try to collapse read-only file-backed pages to
THP.  But the mapping does not actually support multi order large folios
properly.

Using /sys/kernel/debug/split_huge_pages to verify this, with this patch,
large anon THP is successfully split and the warning is ceased.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-40950 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.9 with commit c010d47f107f and fixed in 6.9.7 with commit 5df493a99fcf
	Issue introduced in 6.9 with commit c010d47f107f and fixed in 6.10 with commit 6a50c9b512f7

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-40950
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	include/linux/pagemap.h
	mm/huge_memory.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/5df493a99fcf887133cf01d23cd4bebb6d385d3c
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/6a50c9b512f7734bc356f4bd47885a6f7c98491a