Re: [oc] interfacing 16Mhz and I Mhz clock registers

On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 02:34, Umair Farooq Siddiqi wrote:
> I can adjust skew between two clocks, at present there is no skew between them, 1 Mhz Clock can be considered as 16Mhz clock divided by 16.
>
> Thanks

(its early and my coffee is not working yet. please think thru these
points)

Sounds like the clocks are synchronous then - which simplifies things a
lot. Otherwise memories and junk may be required.

If the 16M and the 1M are exactly in phase, there is no issue - you can
connect them directly q -> D
(I assume the min clock ->Q delay plus any interconnect delay is more
  than the hold time.
  If this is wrong, shift registers dont work either)

If the 1M clock is slightly advanced on the 16M, even more margin.
With reasonable clock control, this is probably where you want to be.

If the 1M clock is delayed WRT the 16M - timing can get nasty.
And this is the common case when  1M is just divided from 16M.
Then a delay in all 16 datapaths longet than the clock skew is probably
the required solution, which is implemntation specific and slightly
backend nasty.

all of these delays I hope are a tiny fraction of a 16mhz clock period.
john