RE: [oc] Legal projects that can be worked on.

I thought about "distribute" after I wrote it as well.
With software patents this would definitely be
a problem since the "idea or method" takes hardly
any resources to produce. An implementation of the
idea in software for simulation is indistinguishable
from the actual product that does work for which the
patent was granted and protection allowed.

This is not so for a piece of hardware like an ASIC.
The Verilog code does not DO anything useful when simulated.
("Do" as in a definition of work, i.e. you would not simulate
a processor in Verilog to accomplish real world work with programs.)
It is only when an implemented product is synthesized and
either taped out or put into a FPGA that it can perform
work that may be covered by the patent.  If you distributed the
ASIC or FPGA then you might cause problems.

Using this idea, that none of our HDL code will ever be able to
be useful to do work in the software form, I think it would be
fairly tough to prove that distribution harms the patent.

This should be coupled with the fact that Opencores is a non profit
organization that does not profit an any way from the distribution.

If someone builds a patented circuit then they should document it
and maybe the group can work a way around it.
That is why patents are forced public disclosure, so that technology
can be advanced through finding a different way to implement. It was not
created to be some form of strangling cash cow for any company that happens
to get one.(Although I agree with people that companies seem to have
interpreted it's use in a distorted way.)

Regards,
  Sam Gladstone