RE: [oc] FPGA/ASIC Design Kits

I don't know about Xilinx parts but with Quicklogic the larger the number the faster they are.

-----Original Message-----
From: Liao Choon Way [mailto:scriabin@pacific.net.sg]
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2001 4:46 AM
To: cores@opencores.org
Subject: RE: [oc] FPGA/ASIC Design Kits

I thought the -5 rating means that the clock period is 5ns, so the theoretical max clock speed is 200MHz? (usually for dev boards they give you the best rated device since they don't save on volume anyway)
So.. for the -6 would be 166 MHz
-7 would be 142MHz
-8 would be 125MHz

Note the word theoretical - depending on your design you might need to lower the clock speed to meet timing specs. As for the 100MHz DDR SDRAM controller operating at 166 MHz... it might be possible if you have some asynchronous circuits and play some tricks, but I'm not really that familiar with the DDR standard.

As for the SDRAM at 133MHz, using a -5 device, I don't really see why not...