Re: [oc] Handel-C replacement, replacement name first methinks!

>Martin,
>
>Windows? YUK, I've finally found a use for MS Windows CDs, they make good
>tea coasters. Too many bugs in MS code for my liking.

 :-)

>My primary thinking is to do a little program that can parse a C program and
>translate it straight into VHDL so people could then fine-tune it as
>necessary if they wish. I'm still a VHDL newbie but if I would like to code
>a Linux style mini-kernel in an FPGA (CPU+Linux Kernel in a ASIC?),
>ambitious yes but if they can do a TCP/IP stack with the DK1 suite then I'm
>sure I can go one better. I've looked at all their manuals and can see some
>major areas for improvement in their software (not just the name!). What I
>would love to see though is some VHDL code generated by one of their example
>C programs to see how they think the VHDL side should be done. I'm already
>using a very basic C to VHDL program which seems to be working quite well.
>Have a look at my "Sequential processing in FPGAs" post which includes a
>sample of its output and let me know what you think. VHDL is still a
>minefield of new learning for me so any help in this area will be much
>appreciated.

Sounds very ambitious - I'd start by flashing some lights :-)  I have to say the Celoxica's video demos are *very* impressive, generating VGA real-time from C impresses the pants off most softies, so a demo board with a RAMDAC on would be nice...

They generate directly to EDIF normally, although they do have a VHDL output flow now.  YOu might get some info from some of the papers written about Handel-C when it was still an academic thing.

See my other reply on sequential processing...

>Although if Celoxica want to buy the program off me rather than let me make
>it shareware then you won't just have my gratitude for helping you'll also
>receive a financial reward too. Their website says they have $30 million in
>venture capital so I can always dream. rotflmbo

You never know...  Of course, if you open the source, Celoxica can nick your ideas, even without nicking the source-code can't they?

>Paul McFeeters
>
>Handel-C is copyright of Celoxica, Buffy-C hmmm might be copyright of me ;-)

I've never objected to Handel-C actually :-)  You maybe want to find something completely different... or not as you like!

Cheers,
Martin