RE: [oc] Any using VHDL procedures with Xilinx Webpack?

Jim,

if it is a recursion then I can't see it. Each procedure is literally just
around 5 lines each "pin <= value" format, no special procedure/function
calls at all. One procedure does have a "if param = value then -- else --
end if" statement and uses an alias to reference the low byte in a word but
nothing more than that, definitely nothing I would even suspect as 'a little
dodgy'. All of these statements in their current form were used fine in the
expanded code so still clueless as to why Webpack should bomb.

Okay, I've changed the procedures to functions each returning a bit value
(fixed value of '1') which I just use for conditional execution of the
following statement. It complained that both functions were not "PURE" so I
had to but "IMPURE" in front of each function definition but even then
Webpack still bombs with its out of memory error same as before.

I can't find anything on PURE/IMPURE functions in any of my VHDL reference
material so if anybody knows what it means please let me know. Does anybody
know if its say 'illegal to use procedure/function calls in clock sensitive
functions' perhaps? Now I'm really fishing. I may try keeping the clocked
state_machine loop but creating a process that is sensitive to the
state_machine signal. Thus when the clock changes the state_machine it will
trigger my new process and a case loop in there can call the pin
assignments.

Failing that desperate stab in the dark I may look at putting the
procedures/functions into a separate component/library and using that method
instead but for now its time for a few hours of reading all 268 pages of the
Handel-C language manual to see if this dog really does hunt. ;-))

Paul
"If ignorance is bliss why am I not happy?"