Re: [oc] Re: Merlin Hybrid System

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dautel, Rob" <Dautel@AllAmerican.com>
To: <cores@opencores.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2001 4:49 PM
Subject: RE: [oc] Re: Merlin Hybrid System

> Hi all,
>
> This email is not intended to enflame, or upset, just my point of view.
> ..
> It is my understanding that OpenCores is just that. A place to submit
ideas,
> concepts, and designs for work and release into the public conforming to
the
> GPL. When we start talking about patents and huge sums of money it seems
the
> idea presented is being 'shopped' on OpenCores, rather than presented to
the
> masses.

I apologize for the subject drift. A bad habit from my CompuServe forum
days.

> It is my view that Transmeta
> is just too young and too cautious a company to look at such ideas at this
> point. They are going strong with their current product and have a good
> roadmap for the future. They are just being cautious not to outgrow their
> ability to support their customers.

Yes, nothing can screw-up a company quicker than lack of focus.
It is a sad situation for the project I have in mind. Catch-22 like.
I can't interest them until they are ready (or finished) and by then
it is too late to begin. I think the project could work inside
Transmeta but with outside funding (and as a seperate profit center
or operational unit).

Transmeta does have patents on it's work which should permit them
to license a developer kit. I guess we will have to wait 17 years or so.

Jim