Re: [oc] UART16550 core

Hi Igor,

> so if I understand correctly, there are two versions, one in Verilog that
> was downloaded
> from the opencores and one in VHDL that you wrote (perhaps opencores files
> translated to
> VHDL and than changed).
This is correct except that the Verilog was not simply converted to VHDL.
I have written UART's before and used the Verilog code mainly as an example
for my own code for the 16550.

> I don't know which ones to take for testing. I'm a verilog guy, not VHDL,
> although I would
> take the VHDL files if they contain less bugs than the ones in verilog.

Well, from what I saw, the Verilog version has a few bugs. The main ones I
noticed are:

FIFO - not cleared when data is popped out(empty). - Error bits could remain
Break detection looked a bit weird (but I'm not a Verilog person)
Stop_bits signal in LCR(Line control register) is not used.
Only 16550 mode is supported, not 16540.
Break error is not passed through the FIFO!
Reciever will continue to recieve (0's) after a break is detected.

> Can you tell me if I'm correct about the differences.
>
> In the meantime I'll start with the Verilog files.
>
> Regards,
> Igor

regards
Carl