Re: [oc] Re: MP3 decode core.

Daniel Haensse wrote:

> I'm currently working on a 68vz328 openhardware board
> (www.openhardware.net/Dragonix/index.php) with an ACEX1k30 or 1k50 onboard,
> planning to connect a mp3 decoder from www.vlsi.fi to it. Would it be possible
> to use the 1k30 or 1k50 chip to do decoding?
Cool. No, I would say mp3 is way too large to make a core out of it.
I suppose you have to have some sort of processor, otherwise, you
quickly get
too much logic - e.g. you have to to do DCT on 1152 values, do x^(4/3),
huffman
decoding, etc. I would say it would be quite unpractical not to use DSP.
I don't know what would be the size of minimum or1k configuration
needed+required,
memory, but it would surely be nice to have such thing working on FPGA,
not
to mention silicon :)

Marko