Re: New way to install.. was Re: another mod...

From: Gerrit Lammert (lammert@gmx.de)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2000 - 17:41:58 CET

Hi Michele,

I perfectly understand your point (that is I think so), but there ARE some
advantages (More space on 1st Disk, independece of versions, so you can use
an old base with a new addon...).

> All that is perfectly possible, but think about that: the new muLinux
> user does boot the first time the floppy disk. It do not know nothing
> about addons and theyr containt. After "login:", it must load by hand
> its preferred addons.

I don't agree with this, when I download mulinux, I see the Addons with
names like X11, SRV... And before that I was on that Homepage, where every
Addon is described. Its the other way, that confuses the newbie, as you have
a menu-entry for lynx, but no lynx (error message) cause it is on some addon
you did not install.
But you point leads me to something:
I installed Suse 7.0 by downloading a floppy-image with network-support, and
it connected to ftp.suse.com and fetched everything i need.
It shouldn't be too difficult to implement in muLinux (correct me if I'm
wrong).
To only download what you actually need (at least the base floppy, it has
network-support (if not sound anymore ;-) ) and then "upgrade" via ftp, if
it happens, that you need something else.
Sure, you must have the right addon in the right internet-ftp-folder.
With the suggested system (or something similar) it could just search the
"current"-folder and gets the most up-to-date addon. There could even be an
"update now"-button...

OK, I stop now, as its you who would have to implement this feature not me.
;-)
But I'm sure it will happen sometime, as until now you sooner or later
always did, what can be done! :-))

With high hopes and gratitude for what you already did... ;-)

...gerrit