Re: No, no, no!! You all misunderstand! [was Re: To trash the FAQ?]

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Fri Dec 01 2000 - 22:35:46 CET

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 11:44:08AM -0800, Eugene TS Wong nicely wrote:

> Oh, PLEASE!! Michele's ***entire*** quote is out of context. Did he
> mention the positives??? Well? WELL?? Did he mention that I edited the FAQ
> a couple of times? Did he? DID HE??

Ok, I discovered that "Eugene TS Wong" was a subscriber only after my
quote about its message (see previous email). I've a this moment
no control about the list of subscribers, after last crash of my
hard-disk.

Mr TS Wong is a very polite person, but express itself in a such
rough manner that I can't support. This list was an idyllic place,
before; now, it only cause anguish.

> Not only did I do something about the FAQ, I also suggested ways to make
> it easier for him. ***BUT*** he wouldn't even entertain the thought,
> according to the email I got from him. After 1 or 2 emails, I wrote what
> you see. I wrote it at the end of the email too. It looks bad in the
> correct context, but it even looks worse when it is cut and pasted.

You proposed to put the FAQ on sourceforge CVS. My feeling is to
consider that laughable, because muLinux still comes with commands
that are simple script surrogate. Thus, I cannot see how the BEST
faq in the world, written by A. Poe and annotated by O. Wilde,
can really helps in this stage.

> Prove it! PROVE IT!!! ***PROVE*** that I never tried to install it on my
> 486 in my bedroom. Well? WELL??!? I'm waiting.

Thus, I'm not the only suffered an difficult childhood :-(

> The fact of the matter is that even though I tried to help, he didn't
> accept my work or suggestions on how to make it easier for everybody.

I highly appreciated your help: your name is on the FAQ. But, to be
honest, I wasn't been able to understand what changes you made.
Maybe, I'm in error: but you only had break some long question to
80 chars? Oh, you lost a unique chance to improve the FAQ.

> I believe him, but
> somehow I get the impression that he is still trying to maintain complete
> control of the FAQ sources. That makes it difficult contribute--not
> impossible, but difficult.

Complete control? You are very far from truth. I asked 2-3 times for
mantainer. This is the last part of my answer to your email:

> If you can't do it, then let someone do it for you. Because English
> appears to not be your first language, it is important that you let
> somebody take care of the English documentation. The only way to do this
> is through cvs.

I do not know such kind of person, sorry. I know users that ask me
"what means login:?" or "ppp doesn't works".

I always refused to write any FAQ for three years, because I know
how fast it become obsolete.

>Do you think that so many projects are registered at
>sourceforge.net just for fun?

They are real projects, not joke. But if you can do that,
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
please put the faq on sourceforge. I have just the power and the time
to upload my archives at Sunsite (15min for any single addon).

Please, re-read now my prayer: "But if you can do that". This means
I wish the ... control over the faq?
To be compared to the Big Brother, I!

Michele

--
In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave
you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? - Woody Allen